Gaelyn Murphy Photography: Passion turns into Business

A photo taken during one of Murphy’s photoshoots. Photo Courtesy of Gaelyn Murphy.

Hanna Lydon, Staff Writer

Gaelyn Murphy is a Scituate High School senior with a passion and talent for photography.

It all started with an old Canon camera her dad bought at a yard sale. Murphy began doing photo shoots with her sisters when she was about thirteen-years-old. From there, her love for photography only grew. She began watching YouTube videos and looking at Pinterest posts, figuring out lighting, settings on the camera, and editing techniques. As her photography skills advanced, Murphy continued to take pictures of her sisters, friends, family, and just about anyone else. Her neighbors recognized her talent and asked Murphy to take pictures of their families. After people started uploading Murphy’s photos to Facebook, she became an instant hit around town, and she started getting direct messages from people asking her to schedule photo shoots.

Murphy’s business continues to increase, as she has completed about thirty-five photo shoots. She is well known throughout the Scituate community for being an amazing photographer for everything from senior pictures to family photo shoots. Murphy said one of her favorite photo shoots was a maternity picture for a Scituate mother. Going into the session, Murphy was very nervous, as it was her first maternity shoot and she wanted to fulfill and exceed the expectations of the expecting mother. Despite the initial jitters, she channeled her nerves into positive energy and made it one of the best shoots of her career. 

Murphy hopes to study speech pathology in college, but she wants to minor in photography and develop her photography business and passion throughout her college endeavors. Murphy said she especially enjoys “seeing the excitement of the client when they get their pictures back.”