SHS Welcomes New Technical Director In The PAC

Jacob Simmer
Josh Heath applies his many technical skills at SHS.

Since he started working here in Scituate in November of 2023, Josh Heath has been striving to improve the experience of students and staff in the Performing Arts Center (PAC). Growing up in Southeastern Massachusetts, Josh took up an interest in theatre and specifically, technical theatre during high school. He attended Merrimack College in Andover, where he gained invaluable experience in scenic design, set carpentry, lighting design, as well as sound and lighting systems.  

A technical director is essential to the function of a performing arts center. Having one person manage event scheduling, equipment use, and the students and staff who utilize the space helps everyone to be more successful and efficient. Heath hopes to improve the functionality and educational experience for all students in drama club, band, chorus, and other groups. When asked what has already been done in this regard, Heath commented, “We brought a Mac [computer] into the booth so we can start running [the industry standard] sound design software and starting to teach some of the students how to use that.”

Already, the improvements that have been made under his guidance have benefited Gates’ production of We Will Rock You and the High School’s production of Matilda: The Musical. Looking ahead, Heath said, “Our big project right now is starting to look at upgrading our sound system [such as purchasing new microphone equipment], which is going to be a process, but it will be beneficial to everyone who uses the space.” 

Aidan Campbell, a SHS sophomore and one of the heads of set for the SHS Drama Club said “It’s good to know that Josh is there and so every time we go into work in the scene shop [where sets are constructed] he’s there to help and he’s a friendly smile.”

“My goal is to just keep expanding what we can use as educational tools,” commented Heath.