The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Film as Literature Students Showcase Their Talent at The Reel

Mark your calendar for 6:00 PM on May 8th at The Reel!
Lilyana Sylvester
Film as Literature students will present their short films at The Reel theater in Scituate Harbor on Wednesday, May 8th

Scituate High School offers a variety of classes for students interested in stretching their creativity. Film as Literature, a senior English class taught by SHS English teacher Anne Blake, engages students in the complex process of making films to expand their knowledge and skills.

Known for being an enthusiastic and caring teacher, Blake has made several new advancements to the class. At the beginning of the year, students learn aspects of filming techniques to enhance their appreciation for the hard work that goes into making movies. While watching several movies, including Citizen Kane, Dune, and Barbie, students take notes and analyze the director’s choices. One of the students in this year’s class, senior Sydney Cataldo, commented, “This class changed the way I watch movies. Now I notice more in the films.” According to Cataldo’s classmate, senior Patrick Guterl, “This class has provided a fun and interactive learning environment this year. Mrs. Blake has done an exceptional job teaching us the techniques and history of filming.” 

Eventually, students apply their knowledge as they create their own short films. Working in groups, they create 10-15-minute films. Using their understanding of character development and overall themes, they write scripts that are used to develop their films. This process takes several months as students master their skills to achieve the best outcome. 

This year, SHS parent Tim Hayes, a professional screenwriter, assisted students through their creative process and helped them visualize filming in the real world as he shared his experiences. Hayes said he enjoys working with students and helping them feel connected to the process of crafting their own films for the first time: “Expression matters. Every story matters. THEY matter,” he commented 

This week, the class is showcasing their films in a way that has never happened before—they will present them on a big screen at a real movie theater! On Wednesday, May 8th, at 6:00 PM, The Reel in Scituate Harbor will present the students’ final projects. Funded by SHORE, this event is free of charge and open to the public. 

Blake said she is “beyond excited” about this opportunity, noting that since “students were instructed to keep it PG-13, we can invite friends and family.” Blake added that if anyone cannot stay for the entire screening, they should leave between movies to respect the students. Nine student films will be presented, each lasting approximately ten minutes.