The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Navigating New Waters : Mentor Program Aims to Ease Transition to High School

Olivia O’Malley
Seniors Will Cahill and Edson Andrade discuss the merit of the new mentor program.

A new mentor program is underway at Scituate High School to support incoming freshmen in navigating the challenges of beginning high school.   The initiative seeks to empower students to foster a sense of belonging within the school community to ease the transition from middle school to high school.

The mentor program pairs incoming freshmen with upperclassmen mentors who will serve as guides and role models for their first year of high school. These mentors are carefully selected for their leadership skills and their commitment to offer support.

“We are looking to help incoming freshmen make strong connections to the school community before they even get here,” said Scituate High School Assistant Principal Lisa Kirk. She believes this program will positively impact new students and help with their first experiences here at SHS. “This program will aim to make it easier for the students who aren’t typically rock stars and the students that keep their heads down and don’t want to be seen but also don’t participate in many activities,” said Kirk.

This program aims to create a supportive environment where freshmen feel comfortable seeking guidance and asking questions. With mentors here to help, Scituate believes that this program will benefit freshmen with first-hand advice and assistance. 

Senior Will Cahill expressed his opinion on the program: “Seems to be very helpful for the freshman. It’s not always an easy transition from middle school to high school so anything to make it easier helps.” 

Senior Edson Andrade also shared, “I personally have been part of two mentor groups, one for elementary school and one for middle school, ” he said, “ I think it will really help getting adjusted to a new school and make them feel welcome.”