Scituate Food Pantry Provides a Vital Service

The+Scituate+Food+Pantry+is+utilized+by+approximately+250+families.+
Brooke McCarthy
The Scituate Food Pantry is utilized by approximately 250 families.

The Scituate Food Pantry recently acquired new equipment to help provide nutritious food for town residents. 

Jim Pollard, a former Scituate selectman and current Director of Outreach, has volunteered for the Scituate Food Pantry since 2021. According to Pollard, approximately 250 families currently utilize the pantry, which serves a diverse group of people, including infants and senior citizens. Pollard explained the importance of the food pantry in the community, noting that some Scituate residents might be surprised to learn how many families rely on this vital service. “There is no stereotypical family we are serving,” he remarked.

A dedicated team of volunteers supports the pantry’s mission. When residents arrive at the pantry, which operates out of the former Gates School cafeteria (behind the Senior Center), they are given a folder with three menus: kitchen, pantry, and bakery. They select what they want, and the volunteers fill their orders and help them load their cars.

The pantry’s system has become much more efficient due to the addition of new equipment, which includes four new refrigeration and freezer units. Pollard said Scituate town officials and Massachusetts State Senator Patrick O’Connor helped secure grant funding for these appliances. Pantry volunteer Diane Dwyer, who works in the kitchen, noted that the new equipment was a “Christmas miracle” for the community. “This is what is going to solve our problem, and it already has,” she remarked.  

The new freezer and refrigerator units help keep the pantry more organized and fully stocked. Dairy products, prepared meals, and various meats can be separated and properly stored. In addition, the pantry can accept more products and donations from local farms and grocery stores, including Trader Joe’s, Stop & Shop, Shaw’s, and Fruit Center Marketplace. “The additional equipment puts us in a position where we can increase our inventory, which allows us to provide more fruits and vegetables, meats, poultry, and fish to our clients,” commented Pollard.

As a member of The Greater Boston Food Bank, Scituate regularly orders several thousand pounds of food and other items at wholesale cost.  Pollard explained, “Our membership into the Greater Boston Food Bank is essential to meet the needs of our community.”

If you would like to learn more about the Scituate Food Pantry, visit their website at https://www.scituatefoodpantry.com/. High school students who are interested in earning service hours as volunteers should contact Juli McLaughlin at [email protected].