Molly Boyle: Journey to Excellence on the Ice

Kathleen Boyle
Molly Boyle in Zug, Switzerland, during the International Ice Hockey Federation U-18 Women’s World Championship

On December 20, 2023, Scituate’s own Molly Boyle flew to Zug, Switzerland, to compete with the U.S. Under-18 Women’s National Team at the 2024 International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) Under-18 Women’s World Championship. The team ended with a perfect 6-0-0 record, winning gold in a 5-1 game over Czechoslovakia. The hard fight took the courage of U18 girls all over the United States, including Boyle, who steadied as right defense and made it her fighting duty to protect the defensive end from Czech pressure.

Currently a junior attending Phillip’s Academy in Andover, MA, Boyle’s commitment to her hometown remains strong. 

Boyle’s hockey journey began when she was only three years old. She has a pond in her backyard where she started skating with her dad and older brother, Brendan Boyle (SHS Class of 2022), and by kindergarten was enrolled in an organized hockey league. She began on the co-ed South Shore Seahawks youth program, which allowed her to play alongside her friends and classmates. In middle school, she played on a boys’ team for Boston Advantage, then switched to BayState Breakers out of Kingston, and eventually landed with the East Coast Wizards out of Bedford, MA. 

Boyle explained that her love for hockey hasn’t changed much over the years: “It has always been 100 percent,” she stated, adding, “Hockey in my family, and in Scituate, was always kind of treated as a lifelong sport.”

Having a deep involvement with several teams allowed Boyle to travel. In total, she has traveled all over New England, Minnesota, Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio. Internationally, she’s competed in Canada, Switzerland, and France over the past three years. 

With a desire to play hockey at the college level, Boyle’s recruitment journey has included extensive travel. Describing the process as “a lot of work, showcases, travel and time away from family and friends,” she appreciated the “chance to hear directly from coaches and current players at different colleges about their personal experiences.”  The women’s ice hockey recruiting process kicks into full gear during the summer after a student’s sophomore year and involves lengthy training, competing, and commitment. Through it all, Boyle was happy to “make so many different groups of friends through team connections.” 

In September 2023, Boyle committed to play hockey at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, as a member of the Class of 2029, going in with an undecided major. When asked about this remarkable accomplishment, she responded, “I’m excited about the opportunity to play in college and to hopefully continue to develop and grow as a player, a teammate, and a student-athlete.”