SHS Planning to Disconnect to Connect

March 1st will be a throwback Friday

Danny Todd, Staff Writer

As time moves along, high school teachers across the country are relying more and more on technology for their lessons. At Scituate High School, almost every teacher uses Google Classroom or emails to share assignments and interact with their students. However, on Friday, March 1st, 2019, Scituate High School will be taking part in a “Disconnect to Connect” day. Teachers, students, and administrators will make an effort to put technology aside for one school day. The end goal is to reduce technology usage at Scituate High School and raise awareness about the impact of technology on relationships, education, and communication.

Cell phones have become increasingly popular, and many adults feel as if they can’t function without them. Cell phone addiction has also had a major impact on the teen population. Walking down the hallways of Scituate High, you will see numerous students looking down at their cell phones. On March 1st, SHS students will be encouraged to leave their cell phones at home so they can engage with their classmates and teachers without being distracted by technology.

Currently, Apple iPhones offer a helpful feature, “Screen Time,” which documents the amount of time someone spends on his or her cell phone. Junior Jack Kimball said he spends approximately seven hours per day on average. “I was surprised by how many hours that is–that is a lot of time wasted,” Kimball said. Junior Miles Bowker averaged five hours per day. “That makes sense,” Bowker said. “I’d like to think that I don’t use my phone as much as other people use theirs.”

Worksheets and lessons for school are available online, which is convenient, but there are plenty of negative impacts associated with excessive use of technology. For example, many students struggle to pay attention in class with their cell phones, computers, and social media readily available.

Junior Jack Williams thinks the disconnect day will certainly have some great benefits. As Williams described, “I like the idea. There’s too much technology these days, and I think we rely on it too much.” Nevertheless, with regard to cell phones in school, Williams doesn’t think there should be restrictions. “In school, I don’t think restrictions on technology would work,” Williams explained. “I’d like it if kids would put down their phones and interact with people, but there shouldn’t be restrictions for phone usage during school.”