The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The World is in Our Hands: SHS and Gates Students Enjoy Interactive Geography Experience

Bridgewater State University’s inflatable globe provides a new perspective on geography
Leona Breitenstein
SHS juniors Bridget Norris (left) and Allie Ryan (right) were among the students who experienced the inflatable globe provided by Bridgewater State University

On Friday, March 15th, and Friday, March 22nd, Bridgewater State University’s geography department set up a large 3D inflatable globe in the small gym at SHS, which students could enter. The event also featured a 2D floor map for many SHS and Gates Middle School students to further their learning. 

SHS history teacher Richard Kermond, who teaches AP Human Geography, commented on the immense benefits these resources provided to further his students’ education. Emphasizing his appreciation of Bridgewater State University’s geography department, Kermond explained various types of geography, including physical, human, urban, and rural. Two professors and two graduate students were in charge of teaching the students specifically about the resources. There were also many fun activities for participating students, including scavenger hunts for specific locations on the maps, which required using longitude and latitude lines. 

In addition to high school students, all 7th-grade geography classes participated in the various activities. According to Kermond, the globe provided a “new way to learn with its tactile and tangible learning.”

SHS sophomore Katie Long, who is currently enrolled in AP Human Geography, found the inflatable globe to be an interesting classroom. While standing inside the globe, she observed the world map from an inverted perspective. This gave her a better understanding of different locations, as she could visualize where places were in relation to other places. Long enjoyed seeing these connections and playing different games on the floor map, especially “Simon Says.” 

Fellow AP Human Geography student SHS senior Natalie Naylor described the globe as a fun, exciting, “unique experience.” She especially enjoyed learning about geography in a new, interactive way.

Approximately 250 students had access to the hand-painted, inflatable globe experience, which the Gates PTO graciously funded. Kermond hopes to see the globe back at SHS next year to help many more students enhance their learning.