Go Gold

Julia Cuneo, Features Editor

September 23rd marked another successful night for the Scituate football team. However, the SHS student section was not clad in their usual blue and white. Instead, both Scituate and Pembroke students entered the stands in all black and gold. Some had gold face paint striped under their eyes, while others carried gold pom-poms. Signs with the phrase “Go Gold” were hung throughout the bleachers. Fans generously gave donations upon entering the game.

September marks pediatric cancer awareness month, and SHS used this night to show their support in the fight against this disease. SHS students and teachers connected with the Pembroke teachers to organize the gold theme at the game, which is the color used to symbolize the battle against pediatric cancer.

SHS teacher Mrs. McCarthy, an essential person behind planning this special night, explained why this cause is so worthy to bring attention to. “The football game is big, but this cause is bigger. This is about the towns collaborating together and fighting for the same thing,” McCarthy said.

Senior Melanie Stewart, also key in the planning of this event, shared her thoughts, as she said, “It was really special to see everyone coming to the game and wearing gold beads and donating. It’s nice to know people are excited to contribute to this and it’s nice to know that they care.”

Donations were sent to the “Wicked Good Cause,” an organization dedicated to helping families on the South Shore who have been affected by pediatric cancer. Overall, Stewart said individuals were very generous with their donations. Regardless of the final score of the game, it was the people who came to fight for those affected by this disease that made this night at SHS so successful.