From High School Fame to Professional Aspirations: Jamie Murray’s Hockey Journey

Jamie+Murrays+SHS+2010+senior+picture.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+SHS+Yearbook+

Jamie Murray’s SHS 2010 senior picture. Photo courtesy of the SHS Yearbook

Cameron Blanks, News Editor

Fame and success goes to people’s heads. This is a commonly accepted statement that is proven by the Floyd Mayweathers, Kanye Wests and Richard Shermans of society. There are talented people who make a name for themselves in the world, and then transform into individuals who make wealth, power and image their priority. For Jamie Murray, the former Scituate hockey phenom and aspiring professional goalie, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Murray, who graduated from Scituate in 2010, led the Sailors to three State Championship games, including one state title, in his four years as goalie for the Scituate High School boys’ hockey team. The turning point for Murray’s hockey career occurred during his senior year. “After we lost at the Garden in my senior year of high school, I realized I wasn’t ready to give up playing hockey. At that point, I could never have imagined I’d be playing pro hockey, but I’m glad I continued to chase the dream,” explained Murray.

After two years playing in different junior hockey leagues, Murray decided to attend Babson College, where he embarked on one of the greatest Division III hockey careers of all-time. Murray proclaimed that “playing at Babson was the best thing that could have happened to me. I didn’t have many options at the end of my junior hockey career, and the coaches gave me a chance to come in and prove myself.” It seems as if Murray may have been the best thing to happen to Babson hockey, too. Murray ranks second in career save percentage and fourth in shutouts. He won the NCAA III (ECAC) East Tournament Most Outstanding player in 2014 and the Sid Watson Award this year, which signifies that he was the Division III Most Outstanding Player.  

College hockey was only a stepping stone for Murray’s career, as he has already inked a deal to play for the San Jose Sharks’ AHL affiliate, the San Jose Barracudas, next year. On Friday, March 13, 2016, he flew out to Allen, Texas, and made his first professional start for the Allen Americans. He led the Americans to a 3-2 win against the Wichita Thunder as he made 40 saves on the evening. When asked about the game, Murray proclaimed, “Playing pro hockey was something I dreamed about as a kid, so getting my first start was pretty emotional. I just wanted to go out and enjoy the whole experience, and getting my first win made it that much better.”

When asked about his future aspirations, Murray stated, “I think if you’re playing at this level and not still working to get to the NHL, it’s a waste. Each level is tougher, but now being so close, it starts to feel like a real possibility. To get there takes a lot of hard work, and even then, there’s still a bit of luck involved to get a shot.” One day, Scituate fans may be able to see Murray dominate on the ice again, but it may be on the TV or in a professional hockey jersey.

Despite turning his head toward the future, Murray hasn’t forgotten the quaint little coastal town that gave him his start. He even had some words of advice for the SHS boys’ hockey team after their magical playoff run: “We won the state championship my freshman year and then lost at the Garden twice in the next 3 years. It’s tough to get so close and come up short, but looking back, it’s all about the ride. We had some incredible memories from our playoff runs and those memories are what you’ll look back on for the rest of your life. Be proud of the accomplishments but be hungrier for next year.”

Murray also stayed in touch with Michael Breen, the Scituate boys’ hockey coach. Coach Breen has been following Murray’s journey, and he talks with him every few months. He makes a point of congratulating Murray on all his accomplishments on and off the ice. According to Breen, Murray was easy to coach. “He is always in a good mood with a great attitude, even at times when things were not going our way,” said Breen. “He’s also a very humble person with a great sense of humor. I could not ask for a better team captain,” he said. When asked what current high school students can learn from Murray, Breen commented that Murray exemplified “that hard work and determination, charitable work and bringing people together is a great way to live your life.”

To the hockey community, Jamie Murray’s success may be a surprise, but Scituate hockey fans predicted great things for Murray all along. Despite Murray’s progression since his days at Scituate High, it is clear that Murray has not forgotten where it all began — just as Scituate has not forgotten him.