Sailors Welcome Coach Dom Boulrisse

New assistant football making a positive impact
Coach Dom Boulrisse joined the football coaching staff this year
Jackson Belsan

On September 8th, 2023, Coach Dom Boulrisse began his work as a defensive back coach with the Scituate High School football program. Boulrisse is familiar with the game, playing football since he was seven years old. A standout athlete at Bourne High School, Boulrisse achieved numerous high school accolades, including being an Otto Graham Award nominee, South Coast Conference All-star, team MVP, and best lineman.

After graduating from high school in 2015, Boulrisse continued his passion for playing while attending Husson University in Bangor, Maine. He played four seasons at Husson while majoring in physical education. After graduating from Husson University in 2021, he continued to follow football, leading to his coaching position at Middleborough High School.

Known for his calm coaching style and positive interactions with players, Boulrisse is developing a good relationship with the team.  SHS senior wide receiver Sam Allard commented, “Coach Boulrisse has a different way of coaching–he’s more laid back and chill with us. He understands us because he’s younger, and he brings great energy and vibes to practice every day.” Senior Jack Belding stated, “Coach is a great guy all around. He knows how to talk to us, and he is very supportive and laid back.” Athletic director Scott Paine reiterated these comments: “Dom was someone who came highly recommended.” Paine explained that Boulrisse comes from a coaching family–his father was a successful coach–which helps his ability to speak with players and keep them focused.

Boulrisse’s coaching tactics were effective when the Sailors were down 30 points during the home opener against Milton High School. Noting that screaming at players doesn’t help them figure out the problem during challenging games, Boulrisse said he motivates players by encouraging them to keep their heads up and believe in themselves.

When asked to respond to the well-known sports quote, “Offense wins games, but defense wins championships,” Boulrisse said teams need to score points offensively, but to go all the way, they need to stop the other team with a solid defensive core. When asked why he chose to coach high school football, his answer was simple: “Love for the game.”

Coming off their September 15th win against Whitman-Hanson High School (47-7). members of the team said Boulrisse’s way of coaching and playing on the defensive side of the ball is making a difference, noting their aggressiveness and “swarming to the ball” has significantly changed since last year. Boulrisse said he is excited to see what else the team has left in the tank this season as they head to the playoffs.