Yearbook Club Working to Create Student-Based Publication

Elizabeth Kurtz

The SHS Yearbook Club has gone through significant changes. With about 20 student members focused on photography, design, and layout, the goal is to create a yearbook that is not only for the students but organized by the students. The club’s new faculty advisor, SPS technology integration specialist Jacqui Frongello, hopes to build a “core group of students” to develop and design a product that genuinely represents SHS and this year’s graduating class. Frongello is working closely with SHS business department chair Greg Ranieri, who is continuing his role as the yearbook business manager.

In September, Frongello attended a training for yearbook advisors with Jostens–the company that partners with SHS to create the yearbook. During the training, she learned about the online platform and processes for creating a yearbook. In October, Frongello brought four seniors, Stella Bulman, Claire Timmins, Leonie Kelly, and Taylor MacFaden, to a student training with Jostens. Timmins noted that the training was very “eye-opening” and “encouraging” for students to create original ideas and designs on one platform. She commented that it was “one of her favorite things” that she’s done in high school.

Although there are no official leaders of the Yearbook Club, Frongello emphasized that Bulman is her “go-to” student leader. Bulman dedicates a lot of time and effort to the club as a design and layout team member. Some of her jobs include putting together forms (like superlatives), organizing content, and designing sample pages. As team partners, Timmins and Bulman said they enjoy collaboration and “bouncing ideas” off one another. They worked with the team to pick a theme for the yearbook and have started a joint Pinterest board for all their ideas. Frongello noted that sample pages already created look “wonderful.” She can’t wait to see how they’ll look when all the content is ready and included. 

According to Frongello, yearbook club members are “dedicated” and “excited.” Senior Nick Tramontozzi, junior Zoe Xixis, and sophomore Will Larson comprise the photography team, and junior Otto Brenner and sophomore Keira Schneider attend every meeting. She is happy to see underclassmen invested in the process and expects them to grow with the club until they graduate from SHS.

Timmins and Bulman discussed how the yearbook is progressing: Content and pictures have been gathered, and concrete ideas have been set. Bulman remarked that this year’s publication is similar to yearbooks from 2010 and older, which are fun and artistic and include lots of student influence. Timmins is “extremely excited” to participate in this project during her last year at SHS and can’t wait to see “all of her ideas” in the final product. 

The 2023-24 SHS yearbook is on sale now for $85, which has been the base cost for approximately ten years. Ranieri stated, “Any senior who reaches out (or counselor or family on a student’s behalf) who wants a yearbook and needs financial assistance, we can provide support as needed.” Noting that improvements have been made to the quality and depth (more pages and clubs) of the yearbook publication, Ranieri confirmed the final deadline to purchase a copy is March 31st, 2024.

Use the link https://www.scit.org/_ci/p/4709 to buy your yearbook today!