Scituate Joins BLM Movement

Lily Grazioso, Staff Writer

Recognized as “the most Irish town in America,” Scituate is not a racially diverse community; however, its young residents’ allyship with the POC community sparked a strong response after the murder of George Floyd on May 25th, 2020.

Following the nationwide resurgence of the Black Lives Matter movement, locally, the Instagram account @BLMScituate was created. Currently, Scituate residents Desmond Sullivan, Will Rafferty, and SHS senior Chloe Vitali run the account. In addition, SHS Senior Cleo Belber and her sister, sophomore Nadia Belber, were significant figures in the organization of rallies held throughout last summer, which were featured on BuzzFeed’s Instagram account. 

Although some residents have questioned the necessity of the @BLMScituate account, its purpose was clarified by Vitali: “When I saw others at the rotary holding signs, it really inspired me to do the same and to get involved.” Vitali noted Scituate’s social justice protests were at an all-time high on June 1st and 2nd of 2020, and they continued with a populous group every Monday throughout the summer, which was organized by Cleo and Nadia Belber.  

The phrase “Scituate is not Immune” was coined by BLMScituate, and many groups on the South Shore created similar slogans. According to Vitali, this phrase is especially important for people who say, “I don’t see color,” as BLMScituate wants people to “recognize that yes, everyone has racial bias.” Vitali emphasized that having conversations about racial justice issues can facilitate a stronger community. 

Responding to the needs of the school community, Scituate Public Schools recently created a new administrative position, the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). After completing two hiring searches to fill this position, Jamele Adams, who served as a dean of students at Brandeis University since 2005, was hired. Adams, an accomplished poet and DEI consultant, has worked with SHS students and teachers in the past, facilitating professional development that emphasizes the “LIT” mind frame of Love, Inclusion, and Trust.

Vitali strongly supports the creation of the new SPS director of diversity, equity, and inclusion, commenting, “DEI benefits everyone. It doesn’t hurt anyone…it addresses every aspect of life.”