The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

March Madness Ping-Pong Tournament Ignites School Spirit

Ben DiPesa makes ping-pong history at SHS
Alexis Washburn
Ben DiPesa prevailed as the March Madness Ping-Pong Tournament champion, winning a $50 gift card and bragging rights at SHS

On Thursday, April 4th, two awe-inspiring ping-pong players faced off to determine the most dominant table tennis player in the history of Scituate High School. It was a month-long battle of the Titans, but only one could claim the “top” of the table. 

The inaugural school-wide March Madness Ping-Pong Tournament, sponsored by the SHS Student Council, included 30 brave competitors who placed their names into the running. The bracket consisted of both newcomers and seasoned veterans. Through the main draw, all games were single elimination, first to 21. 

After the semifinals were completed, it came down to two players: Seniors Michael Porter and Benjamin DiPesa–or “David vs. Goliath,” as one SHS mathematics teacher and renowned ping-pong player commented. Both seniors were seen practicing during lunch and WINN blocks, and the anticipation for the finals increased all month. In the days preceding the final match, fear and excitement reverberated throughout SHS.

During the first rounds of the tournament, both Porter and DiPesa faced formidable foes. Porter said senior Sam Brown gave him one of his closest games all tournament, despite being in the first round. Crediting his table tennis success to his unorthodox serve, which he believes allowed him to take down senior Cooper McDonald in the semifinals. “My serve really got to Cooper, which allowed me to win by a good amount,” Porter said. 

On the other side of the bracket, DiPesa faced similar challenges against various players with unique play styles. DiPesa described his second-round opponent, senior Patrick Regan Guterl, as “a good up-and-comer, but he’s not really there yet,” noting senior Johnny Donahue was his greatest foe, facing him in the third round: “I was down 18 to 13…I thought my dreams were over.” But despite this adversity, DiPesa thrived under pressure and beat Donahue 28-26.

The finals, however, had different rules: a best-of-three series, with sides switching after every game. This provided a far greater spectacle. As the match started, a crowd began to gather. Classrooms were left unattended while students and teachers flocked to witness the once-in-a-lifetime event–only comparable to the upcoming solar eclipse. 

The first game was intense. After an epic battle, DiPesa took Game 1 with a score of 21-14. Porter remarked, “I kept it competitive, but I just wasn’t ready for Ben’s swagger and finesse on the table,” reflecting on his first loss in the quest toward two wins.

The players switched sides, leading to a change in momentum. “I knew I had to attack him this time,” Porter recalled. DiPesa noted that Porter had “a nice spin serve,” which threw him off: “I was making some careless mistakes that I luckily cleaned up.” Porter took a quick lead in Game 2, and just like that, the series was tied.

The deciding Game 3 got off to a hot start, with both players tied after 10 points. But it was DiPesa who began to break away using his strong serve and forehand. Porter attempted to make an impossible comeback, but it was too late. DiPesa ended the match with a final score of 21-12. 

Attributing his ping-pong skills to “a positive mindset” and “believing” in himself, DiPesa prevailed; however, Porter said it was DiPesa’s “ability to paint the lines and his competency with both his front and back hand” that led to his triumph.

There were several cheers and some heartfelt tears, but the winner was declared at approximately 1:43 PM—a fitting time for the champion to etch his name into SHS ping-pong history.