Crying our “Guts” out Listening to Olivia Rodrigo’s Newest Album 

SHS Students Share Their Response to “Guts”
Isabella Burns
Olivia Rodrigo’s new album, “Guts,” hits all the right notes with teenage girls

Olivia Rodrigo is the definition of a child actor who went above and beyond with her career. Once just an actor on the Disney Shows, “Bizaardvark,” and “High School Musical: The Series,” Rodrigo has now won three Grammy Awards and several other accomplishments. Her introduction to the music industry was successful due to her record-breaking first album, “Sour,” which hit the charts in 2021. 

Rodrigo’s latest album, “Guts,” has taken the internet by storm, and her popularity continues to skyrocket. Released on September 8, 2023, the album has cultivated intense interest among teens–especially on social platforms like TikTok and Instagram. The songs, which represent phases of life and relationships, stir many emotions among the listeners–many of whom are high schoolers who have dealt with friendship and teenage heartbreak.

Senior Emma Braun shared her insight on the “Guts” album. Like many high school students, Braun described her relationship status as “complicated,” contributing to her feelings toward “Guts.” Admitting she can relate to the songs, Braun remarked that several lyrics have gone viral across social media platforms such as TikTok, further demonstrating the velocity at which Rodrigo has taken off. 

Junior Gracelyn Veiga, who is not in a relationship, gave her thoughts about the top-of-the-charts album. She relates to Rodrigo’s album and was thrilled when she heard that Rodrigo was releasing a new album because her previous album, “Sour,” includes some of her favorite songs. Veiga loves the range of sad to upbeat songs, commenting, “There is always a song to match the mood,” whether with her friends or alone at home.

Admitting he hasn’t listened to “Guts” yet, senior Nick Mutter said his favorite Rodrigo song is “Drivers License.” Unfortunately, that song was not included in the album. Mutter’s remarks contribute to a general theme about Olivia Rodrigo: she is predominately relatable to teenage girls. Her heartbreaking songs, albeit not for everyone, seem to provide an emotional outlet for adolescent girls across the nation–especially as they belt out their favorite songs.

Rodrigo fans will undoubtedly be singing along to songs from “Guts” during her upcoming concert performances in Boston on April 1st and 2nd at the TD Garden. Tickets are selling fast, starting at $529 per ticket.