Best Buddies takes on the Boston College Basketball Game

Boston College cheerleaders give away pom poms to SHS students

Abbey Johnston, Staff Writer

After months of waiting, the Best Buddies club members at Scituate High School were finally on their way to their biggest event of the year: A Boston College basketball game. Numerous field trips to Sky Zone, the movie theater, and Wahlburgers would not be as memorable as a Saturday field trip to attend an NCAA Division I basketball game to watch the Boston College Eagles take on the Clemson Tigers. Students were ready for a big day, but none of them were expecting the special surprises that took place during the game.

Arriving at the stadium, Best Buddies remained positive and patient while they waited for the game to start. Collaboration from all the students helped the time pass quickly before the game. Once the game started, the Best Buddies group rose with excitement. Cheering for the Boston College Eagles, one student was even given pom poms from the Boston College cheerleaders.

During the halftime show, SHS students got a surprise they will never forget. With the much planning and negotiation from the Best Buddies coordinators and officers, the club ran through the fan tunnel during the halftime show. As they ran through the tunnel, students heard the announcement, “Please welcome the Scituate High School Best Buddies!” and they were bursting with excitement.

After the game, Best Buddies members met the Boston College cheerleaders as well as some of the star basketball players. Welcoming the students, team members took pictures with the club and talked to the students.  One of the goals of Best Buddies is to interact with all different types of people and to make new friends. Scituate High School was welcomed by Boston College, creating the experience of a lifetime for club members.