Emani Summerville Has a Giving Heart

Emani Summerville collects socks and personal items for senior citizens in Boston

Narissa Lipchitz, Contributing Writer

You may have noticed the large box at the entrance of the high school has disappeared. This is because SHS junior Emani Summerville has  completed her fall community service project, earning her the distinction of “Student of the Month.” Collecting socks and other personal items for senior citizens of Boston, Summerville organized this community outreach program for the second year. 

When asked, “What do you think the world needs to hear?” Summerville responded by saying, “Giving back is really important and makes you feel really good.”  

This year, Summerville was able to to collect six moving boxes full of canned goods, socks, COVID19 products, and hygienic products from both the high school and the middle school. At first, Summerville was concerned because no one was bringing in donations, but during the final weeks of the service project, products started pouring in.  

Summerville plans to continue her efforts next fall, but with some help from the SHS Student Council. Noting she will still make announcements, post fliers, and encourage students to donate for the betterment of our world, Summerville enjoys volunteering for a worthy cause.  

Summerville plans to continue helping people, even after graduating from high school. Hoping to study medicine in college, she would eventually like to work with newborns and their caregivers.