The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

New England Anticipates News of Belichick’s Departure

Fans await pending announcement
Benjamin DiPesa
Jerod Mayo, Mike Vrabel, Bill Belichick, Jonathan and Robert Kraft play a key role in deciding the future of the Patriots

After a lackluster season ends for the New England Patriots, Head Coach Bill Belichick’s future with the team is in jeopardy. The Patriots ended the 2023 season with a 4-13 record (worst since 2000), which is last place in their division and bottom of the AFC. Several reports cite the likelihood of Belichick’s departure from the six-time champions. Belichick, who is considered to be the greatest coach of all time, has been part of the Patriots’ organization since 2000, serving as the head coach and de facto general manager.

Over the course of his career, Belichick has earned 333 career wins, which is 2nd all-time behind Coach Don Shula (347). Along with this historic accomplishment, Belichick also played a pivotal role in the team’s nine Super Bowl appearances and six championships–the most by any head coach in NFL history. Today, however, many are asking for the team to leave the past behind and part ways with the 71-year-old.

The Patriots have been 29-37 in the last four seasons. This is a major shift from the constant success many fans were accustomed to in the last two decades. Two main candidates have emerged for the possibly vacant position if Belichick leaves the team: Jerod Mayo (Patriots linebackers coach and former Patriots linebacker) and Mike Vrabel (former Tennessee Titans head coach and former Patriots linebacker).

If owner Robert Kraft decides to go in another direction, the question of where Belichick would settle also arises. Several teams, like the Los Angeles Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, and Washington Commanders, have shown interest in Belichick. Whatever happens with the Patriots in the future, New Englanders will forever be grateful for everything Belichick has given to the region.

There is no doubt Belichick’s name will forever be linked with winning and success at the highest level.

UPDATE: One day after the Patriots and Bill Belichick mutually agreed to “part ways,” the team hired Jerod Mayo to serve as the next head coach.