SHS Basketball: Miracle in Malden Falls Just Short

Colin Morley, Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 7th, marked the end of a phenomenal season for the Scituate High School boys’ basketball team. The Sailors (16 seed) fell to the defending state champions and number 1-seeded Malden Catholic Lancers in what would’ve been a miracle upset. The final score ended in a Malden Catholic 76-58 victory, but the score shows little about the true story of the game. Back-and-forth lead changes occurred throughout the first three quarters, making for an entertaining game for all in attendance.

The game started out with a bang, as senior captain Jimmy Tolton hit multiple three-pointers and finished with 10 points in the first half. 

According to SHS junior Lachlan Steinmeier, Tolton’s performance “really gave us hope and inspiration that we could pull off the upset. We just wanted to shock the world.” 

By halftime, the Lancers only had a 4-point lead, and the small crowd of dedicated Scituate fans was letting them hear it. “The student section was great,” Steinmeier added, “even though it was an away game, our fans made their presence known, which helped us greatly.”

Unfortunately, by the end of the game, the Lancers pulled away to an 18-point lead, ultimately ending the Sailors’ season. However, the season was undoubtedly a success, as the boys finished with a dominating winning record and a trip to the sweet sixteen.

The four seniors, Jimmy Tolton, Shane Johnston, Kyle Mullen, and John James, played their final game for the Sailors on March 7th. Their exceptional leadership and performance skills led the Sailors to success all year.

“The seniors were exceptional leaders all year long. They inspired and led us to have success all year long. I’m going to miss them a lot next year,” stated junior Max Carr. 

The Sailors’ season may have come to an end, but the future looks bright for a young Sailor team. With nearly all the players set to return for next season, the future is promising for Scituate Boys Basketball.

Steinmeier concluded, “I think we have a good chance to make a run next year. We have most of our guys returning and a lot of motivation going into next season.”