Students Speak: Should you get a job?

Are you searching for an enjoyable part-time job? Well, this article is for you. I interviewed upper-level students, gathered information regarding their work experience, and determined the best places to work.

Andrei Aprea, a senior at SHS, has worked three jobs throughout high school. Known for being a conscientious student, Aprea previously worked at Shaws in Cohasset and Starling Bakery in Scituate Harbor. Currently employed at Starbucks in Cohasset, Aprea is clearly happy with his workplace: “Starbucks has been my favorite job by far. All of my coworkers were extremely welcoming as I started, and this job has led to many friendships.”

After speaking with Aprea, I was curious to hear from more seniors. Kendall Zarycki has a variety of job experiences and was happy to share her personal opinions of each workplace. Previously working at Dribbles and currently employed at Hibernian Tavern in Scituate Harbor, Zarycki said it is “more enjoyable knowing familiar faces surround you.” Zarycki finds it challenging to juggle work and schoolwork, but since her managers at her current job are so understanding, it makes it much easier to have a balanced schedule. Zarycki highly recommends working at Hibernian Tavern–or any restaurant in the area–due to the experience you gain and the friends you make along the way.

If you are a high school student trying to make some spending money or save for college, consider getting a job you can enjoy and where you will feel respected. Just because you are not an adult, you should not be treated as if you are less than. Although searching for jobs can seem overwhelming as a teenager, it doesn’t have to be. Before applying for any workplaces in the area, make sure you do your research and consult with your peers to get a clear understanding of what to expect. It isn’t easy balancing school and work, but it is worth it once you generate savings for your future. Thus, if you are considering getting a job as a high school student, make sure you enjoy the workplace and environment and be aware of the time management skills it takes.