Sound Advice for SHS Freshman

Christian Pitten, Staff Writer

With the finish line of graduation in sight, my final months of being a high school student are here. Throughout the past four years at SHS, I’ve gained many qualities, such as knowledge, wisdom, and more than anything else — experience. If I could time-travel back to being an inexperienced freshman, then there are many things I would tell my younger self. For the current freshmen–or even future freshmen–this advice is for you.

First off, get involved! My first day of high school feels like yesterday when we were being lectured by school administrators that “our high school experience will be what we make of it.” “This is so corny,” I thought. But they were right. In high school, you will get out what you put in. This is something I learned this year, as I’ve joined many extracurriculars and clubs that I never thought I would join: I’m running cross country and participating in Model UN. By getting involved, you will meet so many friends, create everlasting relationships, and harvest memories that will last a lifetime. Not to mention, when you apply to college, it’s in your best interest to partake in as many sports, clubs, or activities as possible.

Number two: be organized! Benjamin Franklin said it best: “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” I can confirm this is true–I learned the hard way. When you are a high school student, organization is your best friend, and procrastination is your worst enemy. No matter how boring or difficult an assignment may be, do yourself a favor and get it done. Whether that means using an agenda to write down your homework or strategically organizing your Google Classroom, do whatever it takes to be more organized–you’ll thank me later.

Number three: give yourself goals. If you do this, your grades and resume will reach the next level. Denzel Washington once said, “Dreams without goals are just dreams, and they ultimately fuel disappointment.” In other words, if you don’t have something to strive toward, there’s no point to strive at all. Before you enter high school, think about what you want to accomplish and which student you wish to become. Also, don’t be afraid to give yourself daily goals as well–even if they aren’t academic. For instance, create a personal goal to make someone’s day or compliment a classmate’s attire. This habit will go a long way.

I could go on and on regarding many more high school tips, such as using coffee to your advantage–which I use every day. However, high school is different for everybody. Some claim it’s fun, while others think it stinks. The cold hard truth is your experience is dependent on your choices. So get involved, stay organized, create goals, and do whatever makes you happy. At the end of the day, you’re only in high school once, so do your future senior self a favor, and make it worthwhile!