Music Department Brings Back Disney Trip Tradition

SHS music students posed for a group photo at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World

On Thursday, April 25th, students from the SHS symphonic band and select choir traveled to Orlando, Florida, to perform at Disney Springs, an entertainment complex at the Walt Disney World Resort. This was the first time since 2019 that Scituate students returned to Disney, which was traditionally organized every two years. Unfortunately, the trip scheduled for 2020 was canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

For three days, SHS students explored the Disney World parks. The first day was spent at the Magic Kingdom, the second day at the Hollywood Studios, and the third day at EPCOT.

Students were excited to share their talents at the Disney Springs Waterside Stage on Saturday, April 27th. The choir performed six pieces: “Emerald Stream,” by Seth Houston, “Of Thee I Sing,” by George and Ira Gershwin, “Danny Boy,” by Frederic Weatherly, “All Too Soon,” by Stephen Hatfield, “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” by Simon and Garfunkel, and “River Song,” by Andy Beck. The band performed four songs: “Moorside March,” by Gusatv Holst, “St. Thomas,” by Sonny Rollins, “Invicta,” by James Swearingen, and “Hairspray,” by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.

Prior to leaving for the trip, several musicians described feeling “eager, hyped, and overjoyed.” For some, it was their first time on a plane or their first time visiting Disney World. However, Fine Arts Chairperson Jim Thomas said he has been to Disney World over 22 times. SHS music teacher William Richter said he has participated in 11 school Disney Trips throughout his career.