Black History Month at SHS Featured the Arts

Leilana Sequea’s painting of a Black SHS sailor was honored during the recent Black History Month celebration

During the month of February, Black History Month was celebrated at SHS with a special focus on African Americans and the arts. According to jamele adams, SPS Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the month presented “additional opportunities to illuminate the contributions of people who connect us all throughout the world.” This year, adams said Scituate students learned about Black history through informative posters, announcements, lessons, conversations, and presentations that were “connected to the journeys of people of the Black diaspora.” 

On Friday, February 9th, the Oscar-nominated film American Fiction was shown to a sold-out audience at The Reel Harbor Theater, located in Scituate Harbor. This event, which was organized by Annmarie Galvin from Scituate FACTS, was held in partnership with STRIDE and Students Taking Action Against Racism (STARR). Partially filmed in Scituate and produced by SHS graduate Ben LeClair, American Fiction provided a dynamic platform for community discussion. After the movie, a panel discussion explored race, identity, and storytelling. Participants included adams, SHS freshman Jayla Mae Stephens, SHS graduate and parent Dina Dray, and professional actor Bates Wilder, a film cast member.

SHS art teacher Sheryl Pace, who organized student volunteers for the American Fiction event, expressed her enthusiasm for this year’s focus on the arts. She said Black History Month is “an opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to celebrate and honor the many amazing contributions of Black individuals throughout history.” Pace explained, “As a visual arts instructor at SHS, I see Black History Month as an important moment to engage in the diversity of Black art, music, and achievements.”

For the second year, STARR put together a variety of quotes to be read during morning announcements for the month of February. Pace recommended a mix of Spotify playlists spotlighting Black musical artists: “Rooted in Black History” is a new selection she “highly recommends.”

During WINN Block on Friday, February 16th, adams and Stephens presented the first Black History Month student assembly at SHS. Held in the Performing Arts Center, the event highlighted engaging music, art, stories, and historical information. Stephens commented, “To me, it is important for not just SHS but most particularly less diverse towns to be taught about Black History Month to know how to respect a different race that is attending their schools, to make them feel welcomed and not neglected.” Stephens added, “As a diverse student, it is okay to always spread your word and make yourself be recognized, remembered, and heard.” 

The audience of SHS students and teachers recognized SHS sophomore Leilana Sequea for her artistic talent as her original acrylic painting of a Black female SHS sailor was unveiled. “We needed more representation for our school. I wanted something to represent Black students for Black History Month,” Sequea remarked. The sailor, who has yet to be named, represents a synthesis of features suggested by friends and classmates. SHS students are encouraged to share their ideas for the painting’s title with SHS librarian Tracey Newman. Sequea’s painting is currently on display in the SHS library; however, Sequea said she may want to hang it next to another painting in the future.