David Murphy Representing State of MA in National Speech Competition

Murphy joins VFW Voice of Democracy finalists in Washington, D.C., in March
Senior+David+Murphy+poses+for+a+picture+with+his+middle+school+social+studies+teacher%2C+John+Fitzgerald%2C+during+the+January+28th+banquet+to+honor+Voice+of+Democracy+district+finalists.+Murphy+was+selected+to+represent+MA+at+the+national+level.+
Senior David Murphy poses for a picture with his middle school social studies teacher, John Fitzgerald, during the January 28th banquet to honor Voice of Democracy district finalists. Murphy was selected to represent MA at the national level.

On Sunday, January 28th, Scituate High School senior David Murphy was officially named a finalist for the national Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States and the VFW Auxiliary Voice of Democracy speech competition. In March, Murphy will travel to Washington, D.C., joining 52 other high school finalists from this year’s competition that included over 30,000 student participants.

The Voice of Democracy speech contest aims to promote “patriotism and investing in our future generation,” an opportunity that presents finalists with the experience of a lifetime and college scholarships. 

Murphy shared his initial reaction to the news, stating he was “in shock.”

The annual competition, which began in October with 70 students at the local level, has cultivated moments of self-reflection and growth for Murphy: “The competition alone has made me think about what I appreciate about the country and the values I believe in,” he said. Murphy added, “Weirdly enough, thinking about what I wanted to write and brainstorming ideas was the most enjoyable part to me.” 

Kathleen Murphy, David’s mother, said her son’s “patriotism, passion, and love for his country” fueled his motivation.  She commented, “He is hugely patriotic. He loves his country–it’s his passion.”

Murphy is the first Scituate student in over thirty years to be selected for this prestigious honor. In 1991, Emily Culbert, the oldest sister of Gates Middle School mathematics teacher Adam Culbert, was a state finalist.   

Although he’s a well-rounded individual–earning accolades for academics, athletics, and extra-curricular activities at Scituate High School–Murphy remains humble, noting that he’s particularly “grateful” for all his teachers: “Mrs. Hall helped me with my writing. People like Mrs. Willinger, Mr. Kermond, and Mr. Fitz really helped me with these topics. Their influence on me really impacted the way that I approached it,” he explained.

Murphy also credited his family with supporting him: “I wouldn’t be here today without my family.”

While in Washington, D.C., Murphy will attend a four‐day Spirit of America Youth Leadership Program for high school students. Topics such as freedom, civil rights and civic responsibilities, citizenship, public policy, self‐development and leadership, entrepreneurship, and American history represent the focus of workshops and field trips. Murphy said he looks forward to expanding his knowledge and meeting new people. 

Assistant Superintendent of Schools Heidi Driscoll attended the VFW banquet on January 28th when Murphy was named the state finalist. Driscoll said she “couldn’t be more excited” when they announced Murphy was the top applicant: “It’s wonderful they chose someone who is such a well-rounded student, athlete, and patriot.”