Community Service Club Hosts First Kindness Week at SHS

Club members look to promote positivity
SHS junior Allison McGourty prepares a mural in the English hallway for Kindness Week

Beginning on Monday, January 29th, the Scituate High School Community Service Club will host its first-ever Kindness Week. Students are very excited and curious to know what will be included. This event will include positive murals and paintings around the school, daily themed events, and charitable donations. I interviewed SHS English teacher Anne Blake, the Community Service Club faculty advisor, to gain more information. 

“How did this event come about?” 

”David Murphy has been trying to get this idea off the ground since last spring. He first approached our Class of 2024 Student Gov group, and we were spread a bit thin with prom planning, etc. So this year when I took on the advisor role for the Community Service Club, we figured it might be a good fit for helping David bring his vision to life!”

What organizations are contributing to this event?” 

“The Community Service Club is working with the Art Club, iExcel, STARR, GSA, and ANB to come up with ideas to represent the kindness and inclusion we are hoping to share with the whole school.”

“What are the goals of this event?” 

“The goals are to celebrate the day-to-day small acts of kindness that we can share with each other in our SHS community and to remind us that that’s what we are–a community who supports one another with kindness and love.”

“How many messages are going to be painted throughout the event?” 

“Only two! On beautification day–one in the ELA hallway, and one in the stairwell going down to the main office across from Mr. Blake’s room.”

“What are the themes for each day?”

• Monday, 1/29 — Mental Health Awareness Day: Students will wear PJs. A positive song will be playing as the bell song, and there will be positive mantras written in window chalk throughout the building.
  • Tuesday, 1/30 — Inclusion Day: Students in ANB/GSA/STARR collaborated to come up with a video that will be playing in the library and cafe with student notes about what their ideal SHS looks like.
  • Wednesday 2/1 — SHS Beautification Day: Students will clean up the building from our Monday event, paint two murals in the building, and use chalk to draw on the front entrance sidewalk with positivity!
  •  Thursday, 2/2 — Charity Day: There will be flyers with QR codes around the building to donate to the Scituate Animal Shelter.
  • Friday, 2/3 — iExcel Appreciation Day: The iExcel program is producing a video about all the amazing ways their program supports students. They’re going to be airing it in the PAC on this day during WINN Block, and students can sign up to celebrate the program and its students!

Hopefully, Kindness Week is going to become a yearly tradition! Scituate High School students should most definitely try their best to participate in the daily themes and spread kindness throughout the school in order to hopefully allow successful outcomes!