2023 SHS Super Bowl Preview

Sailors Set to Make History on December 1st
Clement Dumet
The Sailors huddle during night practice on Wednesday, November 29th
Following their 20-10 win over Grafton High School in the Final Four game on Friday, November 17th, the Scituate Sailors are headed to the MIAA Division 4 State Championship (high school Super Bowl) on Friday, December 1st, at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA.
Against Grafton, the Sailors got off to a hot start, scoring two touchdowns on a long touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Sam Allard, who followed up his touchdown by kicking in the extra point, making the score 7-0 in favor of the Sailors. Junior running back Willy Robinson followed up by punching in a 1-yard touchdown run after a long drive down the field–pushing the Sailors to a 13-0 lead with three quarters to go.
Grafton struck back in the second quarter with a touchdown score to get the score to 13-7, but that didn’t last long. Senior quarterback Jackson Belsan stayed hot and got into the endzone with a two-yard touchdown run. Grafton scored a field goal to get the score to 20-10, and the teams then went into the half.
The second half of the game was a defensive battle with no scores for either team, and the Sailors could hold on for the win. The celebration started with the team coming together with a final huddle and then being greeted by the students.
On December 1st, the Sailors take on the Duxbury Dragons in the Super Bowl for the second time in three years. The game will be held at Gillette Stadium at 5:30 PM. Senior cornerback Maxwell Carr said, “We need fans at this game. The energy the student section has provided during our playoff run has been a great motivator for all the players.”
Duxbury is known for its running-heavy offense, running the ball during almost every play. At this level of competition, the Sailors must be prepared for anything to win another state championship. All the pressure is on the Sailors, as this competition is the 7th seed (Scituate) vs the 1st seed (Duxbury). Carr commented, “Rankings don’t mean anything at this point–both teams made it to Gillette. Now it comes down to this single ball game.”
The Sailors have a chance to make history in 2023, and their preparation has been impressive: Night practices have been held outside for several hours each night in the November cold.