Scituate Lighthouse Update–The Lantern Room is Back!

Lilyana Sylvester
The lantern room has been returned to the top of Scituate lighthouse

We are pleased to announce recent updates on the Scituate Lighthouse restoration project. This week, the lantern room was successfully returned to the top of the lighthouse following extensive repairs. 

Scituate’s landmark lighthouse has been without a top structure or light since its reconstruction, which started over a year ago. Many people come to Scituate specifically to see the lighthouse or take wedding pictures with the lighthouse in the background. The senior class enjoys their annual senior sunrise experience on the jetty near the lighthouse on their last day of school. 

Scituate Town Administrator James Boudreau was pleased to answer some of our questions about the time and effort that went into this project and when the town should expect the lighthouse to be completely restored. 

The entire project has taken about a year, and Boudreau said, “Everything will be done by November, besides the paint.” Boudreau explained, “The painting is a special type of paint that requires warm days and warm bricks. It should be finished by the spring.” The specific techniques and materials required for the lighthouse restoration make the project longer, but it will be worth it for the final result. 

The lighthouse was originally dismantled to fix the light itself, but there was a lot more remodeling to be done than originally anticipated, pushing this project back further than expected. The lighthouse tower and lantern room needed to be rebuilt.  Since the lighthouse has not been touched or renovated since the 1930s, it will have a plaque acknowledging the changes.

Boudreau said the lighthouse is one of the “iconic spots in Scituate,” making this an important project that “represents Scituate.” Initially, the renovated lighthouse lantern room will be “shiny” because it is new copper; however, the structure will develop a patina over time. 

To celebrate the lighthouse restoration, the Scituate Historical Society is planning a special event; however, they aren’t certain when it will be held. This may be a volunteer opportunity for students who want to help the community come together and acknowledge the work and expertise that went into restoring a beloved Scituate landmark.