Be Kind Organization Donates to Gates Middle School

Emma Hofmann Memorial Organization seeks to spread kindness

Photo courtesy of Ryan Beattie

Emma Hofmann pictured with Gates Principal Ryan Beattie

Patricia Gibbons, Contributing Writer

Recently, Gates Middle School received a generous donation of $2,000 from the Be Kind Emma Hofmann Memorial Organization. Emma Hofmann, a member of the SHS Class of 2015, passed away in 2017 after battling glioblastoma, a form of brain cancer.

When Emma’s high school classmates were initially informed about her cancer diagnosis, many of them sent letters to her expressing their appreciation for the random acts of kindness she had done for them through the years. In particular, when Emma was a student at Gates Middle School, she stood up for her peers in public situations–even if doing so came with consequences. According to Emma’s mother, Kathy Hofmann (SHS Class of 1980), “She was like a bulldog, and she didn’t let other people go out of their way to be mean to anyone.” Emma’s acts of kindness and compassion inspired her family to carry that spirit forward, even after Emma passed.

Currently, the Be Kind Emma Hofmann Memorial Organization provides assistance to members of the community who are in need, scholarships to high school students, and other donations to the Scituate Public School system. 

Upon receipt of the grant, Gates Principal Ryan Beattie formed a committee to develop a plan to utilize this donation in a manner which will provide for the acknowledgement and encouragement of random acts of kindness while honoring Emma’s legacy. Kathy Hofmann hopes the grant will help the middle school community, stating, “Even if they just bring coffee into the teachers’ room or hot chocolate to the students on a day with bad weather, anything that will take the edge off the adjustments to middle school.” 

Hofmann commented that “it’s hard to stand out if you don’t get all A’s or win the Super Bowl.” She believes all students should be recognized, saying, “Things go beyond academics and athletics, and it would not be a bad thing if people just got awards for being good people.” Admitting she “had a blast doing the giving,” Hofmann was happy to be able to “give a gift to one of the schools in Scituate and then do the scholarship as well.” The Hofmann family hopes to continue with both forms of generosity in the future. 

In her professional work as a licensed therapist, Hofmann sees students who might be down on themselves because of pressures from friends, students, teachers, and coaches. She strongly believes that it’s “our effort to try and tip the balance a little bit” by uplifting and awarding consistently kind people throughout the entire school system.  

Principal Beattie, who was Emma’s English teacher when she was in 9th grade and 12th grade, worked with Emma and her family outside of class through his involvement with the SHS Drama Club. According to Beattie, Emma taught him that “relationships are the most important thing in the world of education.” With help from the Be Kind organization, Beattie hopes to “create a community that people are proud to be a part of” when they come to middle school every day.