Patrick Hale Enjoys an Eclectic Range of Activities

Patrick Hale will attend the University of Vermont

Embodying the idea of a well-rounded student, SHS senior Patrick Hale’s eclectic range of interests is largely influenced by the Scituate community itself. Having lived here all his life, Hale engages in a myriad of activities: music, skateboarding, surfboarding, art, photography, and snowboarding. His academics also reflect this, with a passion for both history and English, in addition to his liking of STEM. 

“Music has been a large part of my life,” Hale stated. He began piano lessons in third grade; however, he diverted from the traditional learning route at South Shore Conservatory (SSC). At SSC, he joined a program where he was introduced to other students, and through this, he formed the music group Overnight with other SSC students. The band has gone on to produce and release two EPs and perform at the Mad Love Festival—with Hale on the drums.

In addition, with SHS offering music technology classes, Hale took the opportunity to expand upon his musical endeavors. SHS music teacher Adam Gruschow has mentored Hale since 6th grade and influenced his progression as a student musician. Describing Gruschow as a  “valuable teacher,” Hale praised him for helping further develop his skills. 

Hale’s love for photography was influenced by his father, who was an amateur photographer. Starting at a young age, Hale engaged with his interest in photography by taking photos on his iPod touch or Nintendo DS. Once he was older, Hale wanted a digital camera of his own; to save up the money, he worked at Cosmos Caffe in North Scituate during his freshman year, starting as a dishwasher. Hale found that working while also going to school was a beneficial experience as it taught him to “grow up” and “problem solve.” Once Hale worked his way up to the role of pizza cook, he earned enough to purchase the digital camera. To this day, Hale continues to appreciate life through a lens and share his passion for photography with others, even posting some on social media.

Skateboarding has been integral in Hale’s life, specifically in growing his connection with the South Shore. From his time at the skate park to photographing other skaters, skateboarding has been a way for Hale to make friends, in addition to shaping and strengthening his photography skills. His favorite trick is the Ollie North, named after Alan “Ollie” Gelfand, who created the trick. 

For Hale, hobbies are about community connections and lifelong friendships. His influence on these communities is profound: creating a band, photographing fellow skaters, or serving the community through his jobs. Hale will undoubtedly foster this sense of community in his time in college.