Senior Sleigh Ride: Victor Bowker Energizes the SHS Community

SHS senior Victor Bowker was voted Best Delegate during the fall Model UN conference

Patricia Gibbons, Contributing Writer

One of the most beloved students at Scituate High School, Victor Bowker, is known for his exuberant morning announcements and friendly personality.

As the president of his class during his freshman and sophomore years, Bowker developed his leadership skills. Having served on numerous committees, including the principal’s advisory committee, the high school council, and administrative search committees, Bowker is known for his commitment to SHS. He also makes a strong contribution through his involvement with the Finance Club and Model UN. In fact, Bowker was recently voted “Best Delegate” during the New York University conference in November.

When he’s not participating in cross country or leading the varsity sailing team, Bowker also enjoys making school events more fun while serving as the school mascot. 

Demonstrating what seems like an infinite amount of leadership potential, Bowker says he’s “very excited to hear back from colleges.” He aspires to attend a military academy, and eventually, he would like to serve his country as an officer in the U.S. Navy.   

Dedicated to his studies, Bowker said his hardest classes at SHS were in the science department, and his favorite class was Introduction to Journalism with SHS English teacher Kate Harwood. Bowker also holds SHS history teacher Richard Kermond in high regard.

During Bowker’s sophomore year, when students were engaged in virtual learning, Kermond was tricked into thinking his computer was broken since the students claimed they couldn’t him because his microphone wasn’t working. Consequently, the class didn’t have work, and Kermond was issued a new school computer. Kermond never knew about the class ruse until this year, when Bowker revealed the truth. This is why Bowker would like to select Kermond to join him on Santa’s sleigh. 

As Bowker moves on from SHS, the SHS community will miss him greatly–not only as a mascot and notorious announcer–but as a friendly face whom people can turn to when they need help.