Megan Nelson Commits to Holy Cross

Grace McNamara, Staff Writer

On September 30th, Scituate High School senior Megan Nelson verbally committed to the College of the Holy Cross to continue her academic and swimming career at the Division I level. 

Nelson is ecstatic about her commitment, exclaiming, “Swimming at the Division 1 level in college has always been my dream, for as long as I can remember.” Nelson began swimming at the age of 6 and hasn’t looked back since. 

Nelson chose Holy Cross because the school provides the opportunity to compete at the highest level athletically and earn a laudable education. When Nelson was asked why she chose Holy Cross, she stated, “After my overnight visit, I knew Holy Cross was the place for me. After meeting the team, Holy Cross professors, and Coach Kristy in person, I felt welcomed and fit in with the environment of the team.” 

Currently undecided for her major, Nelson is interested in pursuing a career in math or science. Nelson said, “The science building on campus is brand new, so I know I will end up doing something great.”

A stand-out on the high school swim team since her freshman year, Nelson broke her 1st high school record as a freshman. On January 9th, she swam and beat the 100m butterfly women’s record at SHS by 3.1 seconds, with a time of 1:00:71. Since freshman year, she has broken two individual and two relay records. As Nelson moves on to swimming at the collegiate level, the new Crusader will continue to inspire swimmers at Scituate High School.