Senior Libby Cutler Spends Semester at The Island School

Libby Cutler spent the fall semester of her senior year attending The Island School

Molly Ryan, Contributing Writer

SHS senior Libby Cutler recently returned from Eleuthera, an island in the Bahamas, where she attended The Island School for a 100 day fall semester. The Island School’s stunning campus is located on the coast of the Bahamas, where Cutler spent her days discovering the beauty of the island’s extensive nature and connecting with some of the 51 other sophomores and juniors. The school’s curriculum is fully immersed in the local Eleuthera community and coastal environment. Throughout the semester, Cutler took part in scuba dives and community projects with local Bahamians. Cutler said she “wanted a change from the traditional way of learning that Scituate offers,” making The Island School a perfect place for her. 

Each morning, Cutler’s day began at 6:00 a.m. when she took part in her daily morning run. By the end of the semester, she participated in a half marathon around the island. After her run, which often ended with a jump into the ocean, Cutler was tasked with daily chores, feeding chickens and cleaning coops on the farm or sweeping the classrooms. After breakfast at 8:15 a.m., the day’s classes began. Cutler took classes six days a week, and on Sundays, the school spent the day doing community service work in the town. While Cutler “was inspired to go to The Island School because of their emphasis on learning about marine biology and conservation,” she took classes in Literature, History, Math, and Marine Ecology. According to Cutler, after classes ended at 4:00 p.m, students were given exploration time to discover the island. The day concluded with announcements around the campus’s central flagpole, dinner, and study time until lights were out at 10:00 p.m. Cutler described this regimen as “the standard day during our academic weeks.”

During her time at The Island School, Cutler enjoyed kayaking expeditions, camping, and even a 48-hour solo expedition on the beach. Cutler noted, “My favorite part of the trip was visiting Lighthouse Beach. It was the most beautiful place I’ve ever been.”  

As Cutler is looking to study either marine biology or environmental studies at Colorado College in Colorado Springs, Colorado, this fall, she is grateful she could have this once-in-a-lifetime experience before college. She recommends the Island School to any student passionate about marine biology — or to any eager learner and adventurer.