Senior Sleigh Ride Spotlights Althea Dumet

Althea Dumet brings an international flair to the Senior Sleigh Ride

Mary Stevenson

Althea Dumet is hoping to attend college in Europe

Leona Breitenstein, Scituation Club Writer

Scituate High School senior Althea Dumet is well known for her excellence in foreign languages and science. She wants to develop both of these interests when she attends college in Europe next year. Born in Belgium, where she lived until she was 8 years old, Althea is fluent in French, Dutch, and English. She is currently taking AP Mandarin with Shan Jiang. 

Althea is also taking AP Physics with Geoffrey Gross, saying she finds this field of science very fascinating. In fact, she hopes to study physics in college. In addition, Althea is enrolled in AP Calculus BC with Craig Parkins and AP Statistics with Jamie Forde. Known for her humble personality, Altheas finds math enjoyable, even though she claims she is “not very good at it.” 

Althea’s favorite year at SHS so far has been her senior year. Over the past four years, she’s formed a good bond with her homeroom teacher and favorite teacher, Caitlin Reilly, due to her kindness and enthusiasm. 

Although she is taking multiple AP classes, Althea still finds time to serve as the captain of the SHS Math Team, and she is the co-captain of the varsity volleyball team. She enjoys volleyball because of the many friendships she’s created and how she views the team as a family. 

Since the college application process is different in Europe, there’s a possibility Althea won’t know where she will attend college until June. SHS graduation ceremonies are scheduled for June 3rd, and Althea expects to hear back from European colleges around June 1st. 

Althea’s best piece of advice to underclassmen is to take advantage of every opportunity you get to hang out with your friends and make memories. High school goes by faster than expected, and you don’t want to reach your senior year and regret something you didn’t do. According to Althea, once you get closer to graduation, you start to realize how you won’t be seeing any of the friends you’ve grown close to over the past years. The four years of high school are the years to remember, so make the most of them! 

When asked who Althea would bring on the Senior Sleigh Ride, she chose her older sister, Eloise, who’s 21-years-old and currently attending Grenoble University in the French Alps. Althea mentioned she specifically wants to attend college in France because of Eloise, who inspires her to be a better person.