Senior Sleigh Ride Spotlights Abigail McMellen

SHS photographer Abigail McMellen brings skill to the Senior Sleigh Ride

Jennifer Dehn

Abigail McMellen is a leader of the Yearbook Club

Patricia Gibbons, Scituation Club Writer

Our next addition to the Senior Sleigh Ride is Abigail McMellen. Known for her skill with photography, she is the primary photographer for the Class of 2022’s high school yearbook. With the newly formed SHS Year Book Club, the creation of this year’s publication is a collaborative effort, and Abigail is a valued leader. In this role, she was one of the only students from SHS who was permitted on the field during the recent high school Super Bowl game at Gillette Stadium. In fact, one of Abigail’s favorite memories is when the Sailors won the state championship, commenting that it was a “really nice experience” to be on the field taking pictures. 

In addition to her yearbook responsibilities, Abigail is actively involved in student government, and she is a member of the SHS golf team.  

Beyond the school day, Abigail works at Oro, a restaurant located on 3A. During the warmer months, she also works at Hatherly Country Club, where she is an assistant in the cart barn. She drives the golf carts, cleans and washes them, and brings them out for the golfers. 

Abigail is a very ambitious and hard-working student, and she appreciates teachers who bring similar energy to the classroom. Over her many years as a Scituate Public School student, her favorite teacher was SHS science teacher Steve Maguire: “You can tell he has passion for what he is teaching,” she said. According to Abigail, Mr. Maguire created a great environment for learning, which helped students engage in his lessons. 

Because she has a strong bond with her family members, Abigail said she would like to bring her grandparents along on the Senior Sleigh Ride. She enjoys spending time with them–especially around the holidays. Abigail also mentioned that if Santa could make any wish come true, she would like the world to be more peaceful and accepting of one another.