Fostering Love and Visibility Through Scituate Pride

Jada Thielen, Staff Writer

Scituate Pride is a nonprofit organization with a mission to give a voice and celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community while educating and spreading awareness for pride and love. The Scituate Pride blog provides an abundance of educational resources: statements from the directors, “Straight Talks” on important issues each month, and reminders of meaningful events. Founded by Lauren Allensmith, Richard Taylor, Jackie Thornton, Stephanie Burke, and Nikki Sanders (President and DEI for Scituate), the Scituate Pride group is a place of safety and acceptance. 

“Visibility and education” are two issues that Nikki Sanders sees in Scituate. Sanders says this is because “people tend to be afraid of what they don’t understand or see.” Although there is plenty of work to do, Sanders adds that “every little bit does make a difference and have an impact.” Scituate Pride is a group that works toward bringing paramount improvements with endless efforts. “We are grateful for the community members who step up and are fierce advocates for queer visibility and education in Scituate,” says Sanders. “We stand with them as they attempt to make change.”

The quarterly “Straight Talks” opens the conversation for anyone willing to listen. Scituate’s Superintendent and principals, The Mariner, and The Select Board commonly tune into these meetings, as understanding the diversity of the town is crucial for a functioning community. Previous talks, including “Queer Parents and Parents of Queer Children,” are still available to listen to; parents vocalized their stories and discussed their involvement with their children who are a part of the LGBTQIA+ community.

The wide variety of panelists on the “Straight Talks” foster acceptance toward everyone in the Scituate community. One of the panelists includes SHS science teacher, Kasey Kimball. Jackie Thorton reached out to Kimball, providing her with the opportunity to discuss her experience with coming out in the Scituate school system while recognizing those who were supportive of her decision.

Kimball feels “blessed” to teach in a community that is welcoming and hopes to spend the rest of her career in Scituate. Referring to groups like Scituate Pride, Kimball commented, “Every town needs one.” Kimball agrees with Sanders that visibility is definitely something Scituate could work on. The discussions during Scituate Pride’s “Straight Talks” help the “social and emotional wellness” of students and faculty. “It matters,” Kimball adds, as she wishes to continue working with the group. 

An upcoming “Straight Talk” is scheduled for June 2021, and a “Drag Out the Hate” parade is taking place on June 26, 2021. Last year, the colorful parade brought together young children and adults to celebrate while walking from Beaver Dam Field to the Scituate Common, allowing positive energy and happiness to radiate for miles. As June is a dedicated Pride Month, Scituate Pride hopes to celebrate it with a flag-raising ceremony, a guest speaker, a drive-in movie, and more. 

The board meets every other Thursday at 7 PM on Zoom. Information, merchandise, and a place for donations can be found on scituatepride.com.