Rick Murray Speaks to SHS on Climate Change

Bridget Lumnah, Staff Writer

As the threat of climate change rapidly becomes more prescient, many teens are left feeling helpless in preventing the deteriorating state of our planet. The severity of this crisis can’t be dismissed any longer, causing SHS students to face one question — what could we possibly do to help?

Rick Murray, former Scituate selectman and SHS parent, will be here to address these concerns for Scituate students on Thursday, November 7th, from 8:15 AM to 9:30 AM in the Performing Arts Center (PAC). Serving as Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s deputy director and vice president of research, Murray will present information on the topic of our planet’s future health followed by a question and answer session. 

All SHS juniors will be in attendance during this in-house field trip event as part of their English curriculum “Language of Nature” unit. This unit of study encourages juniors to evaluate their relationship with the environment. Many of these students have read and discussed Murray’s recent Boston Globe opinion piece, “Is It Too Late To Do Anything About Climate Change?” making his presentation even more relevant to their studies.   

According to the junior English teachers, any SHS or Gates student or teacher who is interested in learning more about climate change is encouraged to attend this presentation. Those students who are interested in environmental studies, or even curious to learn about Murray’s findings, should ask permission from their D Block teacher and come to the Performing Arts Center for Murray’s November 7th presentation.