Teachers Who Started at SHS with the Class of 2018 Offer Advice

Abbey Johnston, Staff Writer

Ms. Colangelo

Her classroom can be tricky to find (located above the library); however, Spanish teacher Sarah Colangelo is known for greeting her students at the door with a smile on her face. After Colangelo completed her degree at Elon University in North Carolina, she lucked out on her first interview for a teaching job–an opening for a Spanish teacher at Scituate High. Since she grew up in Duxbury, Colangelo jumped at the opportunity to stay local as she started her teaching career.

From the beginning, Colangelo said the faculty was “supportive, friendly, and really welcoming,” which allowed her to ease into her job at SHS and create bonds with her colleagues. Colangelo described her students as “awesome,” saying she has enjoyed “seeing how far they have come.” She has fond memories of her homebase, as she started at SHS the same year they were freshmen.

Out of all Colangelo’s experiences at SHS, she said her favorite was the Spanish Exchange. More specifically, Colangelo reflects back on the art museums the students visited, as she gave multiple lessons on different pieces of Spanish art. Colangelo said, “Experiencing the art with the students was the coolest thing ever,” as she noticed their excitement when they saw different pieces of art.

Colangelo is sad to see the class of 2018 leave. She said, “Don’t graduate! I’m going to miss you guys a ton.” But she offered some important advice to the class: “Know what you’re good at and what you’re passionate about and pursue that.”

Mrs. Blake

English teacher Anne Blake has been devoted to the class of 2018 since the beginning of her career at SHS. Blake is well-known by the entire class: In addition to teaching English, she is one of the Student Government advisers for the Class of 2018. Students enjoy her teaching style and, of course, her love for Star Wars.

Before Blake started teaching, she worked at a phone company in Quincy but soon realized she had a love for teaching the English language. Blake came to Scituate looking for a job after she completed her student teaching in Braintree. Blake has always felt comfortable and happy teaching at SHS, as she said, “The kids are the sweetest,” adding that SHS feels “like it has a community aspect to it.” Blake also feels supported by her colleagues and mentioned she “never feels like she’s entering a problem alone.”

Reflecting back on the last four years, Blake shared some of her favorite memories, including having the class of 2018 as freshmen. She specifically remembers the awkward yet humorous Romeo and Juliet projects the class had to do, and commented that “it is so cool to watch people grow up,” as she has two classes of seniors this year.

Although Blake has many memories of the class of 2018, her favorite memory took place this year when students organized a walk-out after the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Blake said watching the students plan the walk-out was “inspiring and empowering,” and emphasized “how much students care about the world around them.”

The class of 2018 has made a large impact on Blake’s life, so she knows it will be a tough goodbye in June. Blake is currently on maternity leave, but she left the class with words of wisdom: “Take your time figuring out what you want to do, and enjoy the next four years.”

Mrs. Sullivan

Maureen Sullivan was looking for a change when she applied for a high school English position at SHS. Sullivan previously worked as a literacy specialist at Gates Intermediate School, where she taught for     years.

Sullivan had the pleasure of knowing the class of 2018 throughout their middle school years, and like two of her middle school colleagues, moved up to the high school in 2014. Sullivan said she had to “learn the ropes” her first year at SHS, but was comforted by the idea that the class of 2018 was new to the school as well. Sullivan reminisced about teaching the current seniors when they were freshmen. She praised “how creative the class was and how willing everyone was to take chances in class.” Sullivan enjoyed their enthusiastic participation, and said the “community of students that are so accepting of each other” was one of the many reasons why she is fond of the class.

Sullivan “loves every day at SHS,” not only because of the students, but because of the faculty as well. According to Sullivan, Principal Wargo and the school community are “supportive to both the students and staff.”

Sullivan’s goodbye to the class of 2018 includes advice for their future far beyond high school or college: “Live your life and be true to yourself as well as your values.” She added, “Embrace and enjoy every day–and have fun!”

Mr. Kovach

Over his four years at Scituate High School, Jake Kovach’s passion for teaching French has grown tremendously–much like his relationships with his students. Kovach not only started with the class of 2018 in high school, but he also started with the class in middle school. Kovach began his teaching career at Gates Intermediate School the same year the class of 2018 started. Kovach said he loves teaching the class because the students are “respectful, which makes it a great place to work.”

Reflecting back on the class of 2018, Kovach remembered specific memories with students ranging from their middle school years to their high school careers. Kovach revealed he recently found voice memos of some of the students from middle school and enjoyed hearing their growth.

Out of all the memories, Kovach thinks his fondest snapshot of the class will be the French exchange trip. Kovach said that he is “extremely excited about it,” saying he is “obsessed with the country.”

With today’s society in mind, Kovach encouraged the class of 2018 to “be resourceful, creative, and put themselves out there to get ahead.” Noting that life goes by fast, Kovach said, “Don’t be afraid to pave your own path.”

Mrs. Hall

English Teacher Catherine Hall is known for her enthusiasm and encouragement both in and out of the classroom. Starting her teaching career at the high school in 2001, Hall has been a teacher for Scituate Public Schools for sixteen years, teaching at both SHS and Gates Intermediate School. Out of all the teachers at SHS, Hall is one of the most experienced teachers, and she is beloved by her students.

Although Hall enjoyed being a middle school teacher, after eleven years she needed a change, saying she could “not teach The Pearl for one more year.” Although Hall had previously worked at the high school, she said it was a tough adjustment when she returned in 2014. Hall said she went from “planning five lessons a week to twenty-five lessons a week,” which was “significantly more challenging” for her.

Hall said the Class of 2018 is “very special” to her, as she taught many of the students when they were in eighth grade. According to Hall, the students are “incredibly dedicated and conscientious,” and they “want to make a change in the world.” Hall said her favorite aspect of working with this class is “the way students respond when you give them a leadership role.” Hall said students have always followed through with their leadership responsibilities, which has been her favorite part of watching their development.

As the class gets ready to graduate, Hall would like to leave the students with some final words of encouragement: She said, “You have the potential to be exceptional leaders on your college campus and in the workforce,” and she wants students to “take all of the leadership skills that you learned and all of your passion and apply it in an area where you feel you can make a difference.” Hall also wants to encourage students to “come back and visit their English teachers!”

Ms. Sweeney

English teacher Christine Sweeney, or “Sween-dog” as some of her students affectionately call her, is known for her bright personality. Sweeney gets her students invested in novels such as The Awakening, which is incredible considering many of her students suffer from “senioritis.”

Before Sweeney came to SHS, she taught in Boston. Although she liked her job, Sweeney wanted to teach at a school similar to the high school she attended, Silver Lake High School, in Kingston. Sweeney said the SHS community makes her “want to come to work every day,” as the students are “genuinely curious and kind.” According to Sweeney, the SHS staff  “works together to better the education of the students.”

In addition to teaching, Sweeney has spent countless hours after school with seniors who are involved in producing Fathom, the high school literary magazine. She also enjoys pitching in with student government and mentioned last year’s prom was one of her favorite memories at SHS. According to Sweeney, students were “excited to see their teachers” and take pictures with them inside the infamous photo booth.

Sweeney said her best memory of SHS occured last year during one of her AP Literature classes. After her friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, Sweeney joined some of her friends who decided to shave off their own hair to support their friend. After explaining to her AP Lit class why she shaved her head, the students all gave her a round of applause.

Although Sweeney is currently on maternity leave and won’t finish the year with her seniors, she and her newborn baby Denis have some important advice for them: Sweeney said, “Find what it is that you want to do and work really hard at it.” She added, “Do something every day that you enjoy–that will lead to a fulfilling life.”

Mr. Luette

Before working at SHS, Assistant Principal Bill Luette worked at a different SHS, Sandwich High School. Luette was the department chair of health and wellness as well as fine and performance arts for the school. He chose to leave Sandwich, as he was “looking to move from a department head to assistant principal.” Luette added that both schools are “fairly similar,” as they both have “strong administration and department heads,” and the students were similar as they are “respectful and they help others.”

Luette said he has enjoyed his time in Scituate because “the students are great.” He commented that “the staff want the best for the students,” which creates an overall positive, supportive environment.

Over the past four years, Luette says that his favorite memories are all of the graduations he’s attended. Luette says that “even though the students are leaving, they are moving on to something bigger and brighter.” Besides graduations, Luette also enjoys when the students who have graduated come back and visit SHS. He says that “it’s great to hear their stories and how SHS has helped them.”

Focusing on the class of 2018, Luette reflected on his favorite memory: hanging their class t-shirt on his wall and wondering “what the graduation would be like.” The class of 2018 shirt stills hangs on Luette’s wall, and he is looking forward to the upcoming ceremony.

Luette’s final advice to the class is “don’t give up.” He added, “Nothing comes easy, so you have to keep working hard.”

Mr. Pumphrey

Special education liaison Joe Pumphrey has been a role model for the class of 2018, whether it comes to baseball, student government, or helping students achieve their academic goals. Before working at SHS, Pumphrey worked at the New England Center for Children in Southborough, a residential program for children with autism. Although Pumphrey enjoyed his job, he “always knew” he wanted to work in a public school, and when he heard about the opening at SHS, he pursued the opportunity.

Pumphrey didn’t hesitate to get involved in the SHS community, as he became an advisor for student government in addition to coaching baseball. Pumphrey noted that his favorite memories of the class of 2018 come from SHS baseball, as he started coaching the same year as the students began playing. Pumphrey spoke highly of the SHS community of SHS, stating he “loves seeing how inclusive everyone is.”

Pumphrey leaves the class of 2018 with the advice to “find what you love and put everything you have into it.” Pumphrey emphasized his “door is always open–whether students need help, or if they just want to say hello.”