Ben’s Top Ten: Billy Joel Reflections

Benjamin DiPesa

Ben’s Top 10: After Billy Joel released Turn the Lights Back On, his first single in several years, along with playing his 100th residency show at Madison Square Garden, we decided to rank the Top 10 best Billy Joel songs. 

#10: James (1976): A story about Joel’s childhood friend named James who he lost touch with. The song reminisces about their friendship and their vastly different lives and career paths.

#9: Matter of Trust (1986): Upbeat and catchy song. The official music video is also pretty cool.

#8: The Downeaster ‘Alexa’ (1989): Another song from the 1989 album Storm Front, The Downeaster ‘Alexa’ tells the story of a struggling fisherman slowly losing hope due to the lack of profit. A perfect song to represent tough, hardy New Englanders, even though it’s really about a fisherman off Long Island.  

#7: Vienna (1977): Taking in the moment and not rushing through. “Vienna waits for you.”

#6: The Ballad of Billy the Kid (1973): This song truly shows how good Billy Joel is at storytelling. Joel writes about the notorious outlaw “Billy the Kid,” who had an impressive run of criminal activity during the latter half of the 19th century. Unique song, even though it is not historically accurate considering the real Billy the Kid never robbed a bank, wasn’t likely born in West Virginia, and was not hanged. 

#5: Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway) (1976): A song about dystopian New York in the futuristic year of 2017 (of course, 2017 seemed far off when Joel wrote the tune in the mid-1970s). Miami 2017 illustrates a chaotic New York City with power outages, fire, mob violence, “blowing the Bronx away,” and even the Yankees being picked “up for free.” Toward the end of the song, Joel reveals that this devastation occurred before they all lived in Florida and before the “Mafia took over Mexico.”

#4: New York State of Mind (1976): Another song about Joel’s beloved city, New York State of Mind, pays homage to the unique and fast-paced atmosphere that is The Big Apple. 

#3: Scenes From an Italian Restaurant (1977): The song starts with two friends talking in an Italian restaurant. Then, the song shifts to telling the story of two high schoolers (Brenda and Eddie) who get married young and then eventually divorce. The song works as almost a mini movie about the ups and downs of life, all set in the backdrop of a small New York eatery. 

#2: Summer Highland Falls (1976): It’s either sadness or euphoria. Joel’s piano melodies throughout the song contrast perfectly with the lyrics about the highs and lows of life. While it may not be the most famous Billy Joel song, it’s easily one of the best. 

#1: The Stranger (1977): The title track of Billy Joel’s 1977 album, this song deals with the complexities of relationships and the fact that you may not really “know” the people close to you. “Well, We all have a face. That we hide away forever. We take them out and show ourselves when everyone has gone. Some are satin, some are steel, some are silk, and some are leather. They’re the faces of a stranger. But we love to try them on.”

Honorable Mentions:

Turn the Lights Back On (2024): Billy Joel’s new song about the passing of time and his illustrious career in general. Check out the music video! https://youtu.be/UOf6CMbHPuA?si=9soVkaRiQ-iNavIx 

Say Goodbye to Hollywood (1976): About Joel’s own fame and his longing for a somewhat normal life. 

My Life (1978): An upbeat song about personal independence and living life on your own terms. 

This is the Time (1986): A nostalgic tune remembering one’s youth. Perfect for high school.

We Didn’t Start the Fire (1989): How can anyone not like this song? Well, except for Billy himself, who said in an interview, “If you take the melody by itself, it’s terrible. Like a dentist drill.” This was one of the few songs in which Joel wrote the lyrics before the melody. Still, Joel writes an impressive 119 chronically organized cultural, political, scientific, and sporting events between 1949, the year he was born, and 1989, when the song was released.

Movin’ Out (1977): This famous song details the working class and disdain for those who forget their blue-collar roots (like trading in their Chevy for a Cadillac or buying a house in Hackensack). 

Just The Way You Are (1977): Joel said he wrote this song about his first wife. Telling her not to change for anything or anyone. 

Allentown (1982): This song once again sheds light on the working class, specifically steel workers in Pennsylvania. 

Leningrad (1989): A powerful song about the Russian Revolution and the Cold War. 

You’re My Home (1973): A happy song about how certain people can make you feel at home no matter where you are. 

I Loved These Days (1976): A great song reflecting upon the ending of things and the beginning of others.

Goodnight Saigon (1982): Billy Joel wrote this song to honor all those who served in the Vietnam War. The song explores the tragedies of war and the little support soldiers received from people at home. Joel himself was one of the “lucky ones” who was eligible for the military draft but wasn’t selected.

Hope you enjoyed the list! Billy Joel will continue to tour throughout 2024!