Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Voted Favorite at SHS Cafeteria

New England staple wins ice cream contest
Patricia Gibbons
SHS students voted on their favorite ice cream treats

Ice cream–a popular lunch item at SHS–is a sweet, creamy treat that satisfies sugar cravings and gives a quick energy boost. For these reasons, it has become a “must-have” in the cafeteria. In particular, students regard two ice creams as the tastiest choices–the “Big Dipper” ice cream cone and Ben & Jerry’s ice cream cup.  

Known for distinctive flavors with clever names, Ben & Jerry’s is a famous New England brand. From classics like “Chocolate Fudge Brownie” (chocolate ice cream, fudge brownies, and a fudge swirl) to “Cherry Garcia” (cherry ice cream with fudge flakes), Ben & Jerry’s has something for anyone.

The Big Dipper cone is a classic American dessert that generations have enjoyed.  The cone adds a crunchy bite to the soft-gooey ice cream center, covered in a delectable chocolate shell.  It’s safe to say this beloved treat will satisfy any sweet tooth.

As investigative reporters, we wanted to know which ice cream treat is truly the best?

During a recent lunch period, we set up a table with two bowls–one marked “Big Dipper” and the other “Ben and Jerry’s.”  We asked participants to vote for their favorite and tell us why. At the end of each lunch period, assistant principals William Luette and Lisa Kirk chose a winner by drawing a name from each bowl; the winner received a free ice cream of their choice.  

Out of all three lunch periods, 24 votes were cast for Ben & Jerry’s and 15 votes for the Big Dipper, making Ben & Jerry’s the favorite among participants. 

SHS junior Grace Taylor, winner of the Big Dipper contest, noted that her ice cream was a “perfect combination of ice cream to flavoring.”  Her counterpart, SHS junior Nora Gosnell, winner of the Ben & Jerry’s contest, expressed her appreciation for a local company that has “good quality flavors.”