Gates Musical Will Rock You

Mark your calendar for “We Will Rock You” on March 8th and 9th
Meredith Hilditch
Gates Middle School students rehearse during tech week for “We Will Rock You”

On Friday, March 8th, Gates Middle School Drama Club will premiere its spring musical production, “We Will Rock You.” This jukebox musical utilizes the songs of the famously known band Queen to tell the story of a dystopian future when everyone is forced to consume the same culture, fashion, and ideas. Expression and knowledge are limited based on the rules of the leader, the “Killer Queen.” The plot’s main conflict arises when the alternative kids rebel and “fight for what’s right.” This highly entertaining show portrays a valuable message that anyone can enjoy.

Gates Middle School drama teacher and drama club director Lindsy Warwick said she saw the musical years ago, and when she learned there was a version approved for students, she took on the challenge of bringing it to Scituate. After doing more “Disney-esque” musicals in the past, she thought this would be a fun, creative production for the Gates Drama Club. Despite being the “weirdest” show the middle school has ever done, Warwick spoke about the production with confidence and excitement.

Warwick started preparing and researching for this production in the spring of 2023 and spent the summer planning and mapping out the details. Students have been working on the production since November: Approximately 100 students–evenly split between cast and crew–have worked after school with Warwick, assistant director Meredith Hilditch, choreographer Michelle Hayes, and artistic director Tracy Shepard. Josh Heath, who runs the lighting and sound booth, trained students and helped build the set. Currently in the midst of “Tech Week,” two weeks of intense practice and rehearsals before the performance, members of the cast and crew are looking forward to opening night.

Although Warwick enjoys all components of the show, she said the music and dancing are especially exciting. The rock and roll soundtrack and the musical selections, coordinated by musical director Kristy Errera-Solomon, represent some of the “most difficult” music the club has ever used; however, it makes the choreography fun and engaging to watch. In addition, the show’s set, which consists of intricate props, dynamic lighting, and scenic projections, provides a sense of futurism and animation that “brings the show together.” 

Warwick knew it would be a “huge leap” for the drama club, especially the crew and tech members, when choosing this show. Besides the complicated set pieces, the students in the crew are working hard to customize costumes, create “funky” hair and makeup looks, and use their creativity to bring the futuristic world to life. According to Warwick, the crew has been “hustling.” Demonstrating their commitment and dedication to the project, drama club students learn valuable skills that prepare them to move into bigger high school or community theater productions. 

Lead roles for the show include Gallieo, played by August Ames, Scaramouche, played by Piper Levirne, Brit, played by Declan Lemerande, Oz, played by Olivia Cozzi, and the Killer Queen, played by Lilliana Maschio-Freire. 

“We Will Rock You” will be presented at the Scituate Center for the Performing Arts at 7:00 PM on Friday, March 8th, and Saturday, March 9th. A matinee will also be presented at 2:00 PM on Saturday, March 9th. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for adults.  Tickets can be purchased at https://our.show/gatesdramawwry SHS students interested in helping can email Lindsy Warwick at [email protected].