Homecoming Week Promotes School Spirit

Shea Stone
SHS English teacher Anne Blake celebrated Barbie and Ken Day with sophomore Millie Murphy when they wore matching “Kenough” sweatshirts.

Homecoming Week is the best time of year–the community comes together and expresses support for the town, school, and sports. Spirit Week, homecoming games, block parties, and a homecoming dance allow students to gather as one.

SHS students and staff members are having fun with Homecoming Spirit Week. To prepare, Student Council members worked together to arrange five different themes for Monday-Friday so students and staff could dress up every day of the week. Student Council President, senior Sydney Cataldo, worked with her fellow council members to create the themes. Cataldo arranged for “all grades to show off their spirit” and thinks it is“awesome to see everyone participate and having fun.”

While determining the themes for each day, Cataldo and her fellow officers discussed recent trends and the most popular themes. To kick off the first day of Spirit Week, Monday was Jersey Day, Tuesday was Country vs. Country Club Day, Wednesday was Barbie & Ken Day, Thursday was Rock and Roll Day, and to cap the week off, Friday will be Blue and White to express Scituate Sailor pride!

Cataldo believes Spirit Week is crucial for SHS because “it brings the whole student body together to have fun.” She enjoys seeing students “getting involved with the activities,” which makes the “school atmosphere better for the students and facility.”

Throughout the week, the athletic department has scheduled home games for as many sports teams as possible. Athletic Director Scott Paine said the goal is “to get every team a home game” so each team can be featured one day of the week. The support system for Scituate sports is powerful. Paine noted that last week, the Spanish exchange students “made an appearance and showed their support” for the SHS football team, and he anticipates excellent fan support for Homecoming.

To finish the week on a solid note, students can attend this year’s homecoming dance on Saturday, September 30th. The dance will be held from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. SHS students can purchase tickets beforehand during lunch or simply scan the QR codes hanging up around the school. Tickets are $10 ahead of time and $15 at the door. The homecoming dance is a great way to spend time with peers and get the entire school together.

SHS English teacher Anne Blake, a student government faculty advisor, believes “the value of the homecoming dance is for all four grades to join together and share a tradition.” Blake also explained that several improvements will make this year’s dance more enjoyable. According to Blake, SHS has “refined how it will be, with a great DJ and better location for a more fun experience.” Students should take advantage of the opportunity to spend time with their friends and have fun.