Guess who’s back?

Inside the Clash of Clans resurgence at SHS

Clash of Clans Makes a Comeback at SHS

Clash of Clans Makes a Comeback at SHS

Aidan Morley , Staff Writer

A recurring piece of childhood nostalgia has once again returned to popularity at SHS. Clash of Clans, a game where students have spent years and for some tens to hundreds of dollars building their bases to compete against players around the world. 

The game quickly rose to popularity after its release in August of 2012–just before the current seniors entered fifth grade. Since the game’s popularity has ridden a roller coaster of popularity among Scituate students, resurging to fame in 2015 and 2017. 

Now the game is back. The Clash of Clans fandom that had enveloped many when they were kids has come back as if no time had passed at all. Students have been left frantically trying to recover their old bases or rebuild new ones to the glory they once had. 

Two rival clans spurred up at SHS in recent weeks that now account for the majority of the junior and senior classes. The Wet Bandits, led by seniors Max Roche and Garret McKinnon and the DesciplesOfRemy, led by senior Matt Francis, have been competing for the most talented players since the return. 

However, there has been one persistent question since the game’s release: what makes the game so popular? Some have argued that when faced with the realization of leaving for college, seniors are reverting to childhood favorites like Silly Bandz and Clash of Clans alike. As a leader of one of the top school clans, Roche stated, “It’s universal through the grades–everyone can participate to accomplish goals.” Roche is not the only one who thinks this way. The game has united students of all abilities, ages, and popularity–it has been an opportunity for students around the world to come together for a common goal.

The game’s unique ability to never quite go away has led to its persistence, even through games such as Fortnite and games with an annual release. Although it isn’t likely that the Clash of Clans craze will last too much longer, one thing is certain: it’s the ability to break down barriers, and its impact on the childhoods of millions globally will not soon be forgotten.