January Artist of the Month: Emily O’Connor

Emily O'Connor dancing in the Duvual Dance Nutcracker  in 2014 at Scituate High School. 
Photo Courtesy of Emily O'Connor.

Emily O'Connor dancing in the Duvual Dance Nutcracker in 2014 at Scituate High School. Photo Courtesy of Emily O'Connor.

Brigid Bonner, Staff Writer

She slipped into her pointe shoes. She placed her hand on the ballet barre–eyes on the mirror in front of her. She took a deep breath and began to express herself through one of her favorite creative outlets: dance. This inspiring dancer is SHS sophomore Emily O’Connor.  

O’Connor has been a dancer since she was two-years-old. Like many young girls, she was introduced to dance at a young age and felt an immediate connection to the art.

As a high school student, O’Connor spends nearly twenty hours per week practicing at Duval Dance and Music Academy of Scituate. Dance overtakes O’Connor’s life and restricts her from other activities–such as relaxing on Friday nights–but O’Connor loves being with her team members and doing what she loves. “I like the environment of all the people and all the teachers and how it’s support supportive and challenging at the same time,” she said.

O’Connor demonstrates her ability through several different styles of dance: acro, musical theater, hip hop, and contemporary. She is also part of the tap, competition, and the senior teams at Duval Dance Academy. Through this sport, she is able to express herself, but she is also required to learn 20 stage performances and approximately 100 small combos throughout the year. “You have to be mindful of the teachers and what they want, but you can also incorporate your own personal movement,” said O’Connor.

Typically spending five or more days per week at the studio, O’Connor spends Saturdays assisting her teachers and helping them teach young children how to dance. O’Connor hopes her dedication to the art will inspire the next generation of dancers.

Dance can be considered a sport or an art. O’Connor considers this passion an art. “I think it’s an art, because it’s more of an expressive type of movement, and a sport is generally something where you’re more competing and trying to win,” she said. O’Connor has an exceptional talent shown through the hard work and time she puts toward the art of dancing.

• January Artist of the Month: Emily O’Connor

Features

SPS Teachers Inspired by Summer Work

Entertainment

Alec Mulkern’s Calculus Transforms the Gettysburg Address

Features

SHS Math Teacher Kerri Hallihan Embarks on a Sabbatical

Entertainment

French III Students Learn Life Lessons While Reading Oscar et la Dame Rose

Opinions

Fantasy Football Growing in Popularity at SHS

Features

How Much Does it Cost to be a Senior at SHS?

Features

SeaTreking into the BVIs

Features

Magistra’s Lessons Exceeded the Study of Language

Features

DREAMing Big: Youta Adachi

Features

SHS Grad Phil Struzziero Publishes Young Adult Novel