Captains Lead the Way on the Baseball Diamond

The+Scituate+Sailors+connect+before+defeating+the+North+Quincy+Raiders%2C+3-1+on+May+7th.+
Jennifer Curtis
The Scituate Sailors connect before defeating the North Quincy Raiders, 3-1 on May 7th.

The 2024 Scituate Varsity Baseball season is underway boasting an 8-5 record at press time. Captains Senior Ayden Lisi, Senior Jason Bellucci, and Junior Ben Caristi are leading the team and feel hopeful for a memorable season.

Junior Captain, and catcher Caristi is always ready to work and show his love for the game on and off the field. Caristi has played every game behind the plate as a Scituate Sailor. When asked about his position he said, “I’ve played catcher my whole life, I love being in control of the game and you’re involved in every play. I love it -keeps me in the game.” Caristi is proud to be a captain as a Junior, “I think it’s good to represent your town,”  said Caristi, “I love setting the example; I hope we can work hard as a team and win some big games this year.”

Captain Ayden Lisi plays pitcher and shortstop but, in his opinion, “Shortstop is my favorite place on the field,” Lisi said. “Also just being a leader in the infield is always fun, and just being able to show my athleticism in practice is pretty cool too.”  Lisi also recognizes the importance of leadership; connecting with players on and off the field is crucial to building a strong foundation: “Having new responsibilities as a captain is new but you have to know when to flip that switch and step up to new responsibilities that come with being a captain.”

Last but not least, Captain Bellucci is focused on having a stellar senior season. With his absence during the 22-23 season due to injury, teammates are thrilled to see him back in Center Field for his senior campaign. Belluci holds the title of captain with distinction: “I’ve grown up playing Scituate Little League all my life, from T-Ball up to Varsity High school level;  it is special to be a captain for the town I grew up in.” Bellucci is a strong utility player but loves his placement in the outfield: “(In Center Field) I like to run, and I also think I’m pretty fast, so I like being able to track a ball when it’s (sic) the air and making some athletic plays.”

Playing against former teammates on the opposing team in the season is always exciting,  “It’s always fun to play against the boys in Pembroke. Also, Hanover-I’ve played with those guys in AAU ball and it’s always fun to play against teammates. The competitive nature of it is fun.”

Bellucci is embracing his role as captain, particularly mentoring younger players, “So far it’s the workouts at 6:30 in the morning for me. It’s good getting to know all the new freshmen and being around them and seeing what the program will look like in the future.”

Be sure to catch the Scituate Sailors during one of their six remaining games this season!