The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sailors’ Season Ends with Disappointment 

Tournament game was neck-and-neck against Sharon
Senior+Ryan+Dunn+shoots+a+free+throw+during+the+March+9th+game+against+Sharon+High+School%2C+putting+Scituate+ahead+23-22+during+the+second+quarter+
Senior Ryan Dunn shoots a free throw during the March 9th game against Sharon High School, putting Scituate ahead 23-22 during the second quarter

After a great season with many high points, the Scituate Sailors boys’ basketball team fell to Sharon High School in the Elite 8 of the MIAA Division 2 Basketball Tournament. For a team with 11 seniors, it was a great run–and it was a barn burner in their last game. In a packed gym at Stoughton High School on Saturday, March 9th, the 15th-ranked Sailors took on the 7th-ranked Eagles. The Sailors were defeated by the Eagles, but it was a back-and-forth game–one that could’ve gone either way. 

The Sailors started the tournament on Friday, March 1st, by hosting 18th-ranked Chicopee Comprehensive High School in a sold-out Scituate gymnasium. The Sailors rode the hot hand of SHS senior Michael Porter and fought out a gritty 63-60 win. When asked about the fan support, Michael Porter said, “It’s great to have such a supportive student section and fan base–they really provide an advantage, especially during the playoffs.”

Next, the Sailors had to hit the road to take on the very talented 2nd-seeded team, Leominster High School. Scituate stayed hot, taking down Leominster for the second time in three years in the playoffs by a score of 55-48. Senior Nick Mutter commented, “They were a very solid team with a great game plan. It was a battle the whole game, but it was nice to get a win and earn another game.” After two big wins, the Sailors focused on Sharon for a state quarterfinal game. 

Sharon started their playoff run with a commanding 65-54 win against Northampton High School and continued their success with another 65-54 win against Doherty Memorial High School in Worcester.

Scituate and Sharon met in a sold-out Stoughton High School gym on March 9th. It was a back-and-forth game, with the Sailors leading by six points in the second half. Despite their best efforts, the Sailors came up short and fell to Sharon by a final score of 58-54. Senior Thygeson Smith said, “Both teams played very well, but in the end, we just didn’t have enough. It was a great season with a great group of kids.” According to senior Ryan Dunn, “It was a great game because we shut down their two best players. In the first half, we were more disciplined. Once the gym got louder, it created a distraction, but we still tried our best, and sadly it didn’t go our way.” 

The Sailors have a lot of questions that need to be answered with regard to next season: With 11 seniors graduating, who will start next year? Who will step up and take the reigns as captain? How strong is Division 2, and which teams will be championship contenders?