Hopes are High for the League Leading Celtics

The Boston Celtics are sitting at the top of the NBA and looking to make another deep postseason run. They had a disappointing end to the season last year after losing in the Eastern Conference Finals—and losing in the NBA Finals to the Golden State Warriors the year before—but this season is their best chance to bring home a championship. 

Brad Stevens was busy this past offseason moving key pieces, including Marcus Smart, Malcolm Brogdon, Robert Williams, and Grant Williams, for players including Kristaps Porzingis and Jrue Holiday, who have been great for the Celtics this season. When asked about the new pieces, Scituate senior Max Carr said, “It is always hard when a team changes so much, but they should be able to mix quickly and play well together.” The Celtics have still relied on their stars this season, with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum being selected to the all-star team.  

The Celtics have established strong chemistry despite the preseason trades. Porzingis and Holiday are making a serious impact on this team. Porzingis is third on the team in scoring, as Holiday trails behind him. Smart was a key defensive piece for the Celtics, winning the Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2022, but Holiday has done a great job filling that role. SHS senior Johnny Donahue said, “It has been great watching the team with new players still be able to be successful.”

Porzingis has also been fantastic for the Celtics this season, providing another big man to assist Al Horford and another threat beyond the arc. The Celtics’ future is bright, and hopes are high that they will finally bring home a championship.