The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Freshman Goalie Nelson Murray Steps Onto the Pitch for Varsity Soccer

Nelson Murray (left) and Philippe Laniel (right) kept the Scituate varsity soccer team in the running for the playoffs

SHS boys’ varsity soccer goalie junior Philippe Laniel has done a great job this year after star goalie Ryan McGourty graduated from SHS to play division 3 soccer at Curry College. Soccer fans were wondering what the situation on the net would look like with McGourty gone, but Laniel stepped up to the challenge, keeping the team in playoff hopes.

Midway through the season, Laniel took a two-week hiatus from soccer to compete with the Canadian national kayaking team in the freestyle world championship. Laniel placed 13th in the world in his age group. When asked if he gave his temporary replacement, freshman goalie Nelson Murray, any words of wisdom before leaving for the competition, Laniel responded, “I remember telling Nelson that he needed to stay solid in net and listen to the team so they can help him be the best he can possibly be.”

During Laniel’s absence, Murray proved he has what it takes to be a great varsity goalie. Team captain senior Henry Cameron commented, “I knew Phil going away was definitely tricky–it put a little roadblock in an already difficult season, but we had confidence in Nelson coming up.”

Murray has years of experience, having played soccer for the Galway Rovers club team. He also worked on his skills over the summer, attending tournaments and captains’ practices, taking his experience to the next level. During the season, he had a big save against Hanover, resulting in a 2-2 tie. When asked about the opportunity to step in for Laniel, Murray stated, “Filling in for Phil was pretty exciting because I got to play against better competition.”

The varsity soccer team will compete in the playoffs after finishing the regular season 7-7-4. The team was disappointed in their performance last year, missing the playoffs with a 5-13 record. With the return of Laniel and Murray next season, the team has a bright future.