Girl’s Golf Team Welcomes Coach Maguire

Sarah Spires

SHS art teacher Jess Maguire is looking forward to coaching this year’s varsity girls golf team

Sarah Spires, Staff Writer

The varsity girl’s golf season began on Monday, March 20th, when the team welcomed SHS art teacher Jess Maguire as their new coach. Maguire grew up in Scituate and was introduced to golf in 6th grade by her father.  She played on the Scituate High School boy’s golf team in high school and remembers the experience as being “awesome.” At that time, the team played at Hatherly Country Club, which was “an opportunity within itself” to play on an unfamiliar and beautiful course. She also worked on the greens crew at Widow’s Walk Golf Course for about eight years. 

Maguire said her favorite part about the game of golf is “the pace and having the opportunity to be out in nature.”  She added, “It’s not just the competitive aspect out on the course, but there’s also a beauty to it.” This season, Maguire aims for the team to “be competitors in our league and for everyone to grow as golfers and have fun.”

The SHS junior varsity coach, Ken Camerota, has been with the team for two years. He brings positive energy to the course and aims to keep the team sustainable in the future. 

The team’s first match of the season will be against Cohasset on Tuesday, April 11th, at Widow’s Walk Golf Course, and spectators are welcome!