Emilia Rojik Commits to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Sarah Spires, Staff Writer

Senior Emilia Rojik verbally committed to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) to further her academic and basketball career at the Division III level. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is a private institution, located in Troy, New York.

Rojik decided on RPI because of the “great academic opportunities as well as the kind and welcoming basketball program.” Rojik is looking forward to working with the coach, John Greene. She said, “He is a very kind person,” and she is “super grateful for this opportunity.” While attending RPI, Rojik is interested in studying cognitive science and psychology or business management, but she is open to other pathways of study.

Rojik began playing basketball on a team in first grade. She stated, “I was always playing basketball because my father was playing in Germany for his job.” Her passion began from a young age, as she said, “I always had a basketball in my hands.” Rojik’s father had similar passions and played Division I basketball at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA. Rojik’s mother was also an athlete, playing league basketball when she lived in Germany. Clearly, Rojik’s passion for athletics runs in the family.

Rojik has been playing on the varsity SHS basketball team for four years and is excited to see what the season brings during her senior year. Rojik was awarded the Patriot League All-Star Award and The Most Improved Player Award in previous seasons. The varsity team also won the Patriot League during Rojiks’s freshman year, and they made it to the tournament last year. 

While her talent and passion for basketball propelled her to collegiate-level playing, Rojik said the love and support she experienced along the way helped her achieve her goals: “My club team [MT Elite Ducks UA Rise Plasma] had the biggest impact on my recruitment.” Rojik added, “The amazing coaches and staff pushed me to be the best player I can be, knowing there is always room for improvement.” Thanking her close support group, Rojik cited “Coach Dan, Allie and Tim, and my father because without them I wouldn’t be able to accomplish all that I have.”

Rojik looks forward to her future and stated, “I am so excited to be a part of a great school that is a perfect fit for me, as well as being able to play the sport I love in college, which is a dream come true.” Her advice for younger students? “Always push through, because in the end, it will all be worth it, and you will be so proud of what you were able to accomplish.”