Eastern MA Finals Moved to Hanover High School

Scituate Sailors battle Swampscott Big Blue on Friday, Nov. 16th

Miles Bowker, Staff Writer

On Saturday, November 17th, for the first time in history, the Scituate High School football team will travel to Hanover, Massachusetts, to compete for a place in the Division 5 State Finals. The Sailors, who last week dispatched Canton at home, 21-0, will face off against the North Sectional Champions in Swampscott, in what figures to be an entertaining, heavyweight bout.

Both teams boast records of 9-1 and feature explosive, spread offenses–each with the potential to hang up 40 points on an opponent on any given night. We at the Scituation have got you covered with a complete preview of the game.

This game is unquestionably the most important in the football program’s history, and the team will need a large group of fans supporting them at the game. SHS will be providing a fan bus to the game, so as many students as possible will have the chance to attend. Come support the Sailors in the biggest game of the year!

Swampscott Big Blue

How they got here: After a strong regular season that saw the team go 6-1, with the only loss being a road defeat to Lynn English, Swampscott appears to hit their stride at the perfect time. The Big Blue have run off three straight playoff wins by a combined margin of 110-46, including a North Sectional Championship-clinching 34-26 victory over Amesbury last weekend.

Key players: The Big Blue are led by junior captain Jonathan Oriakhi, an exceptionally talented wide receiver, and junior running back Dylan January, as well as their quarterback, junior Graham Inzana. Outside of their captains, however, they have multiple playmakers and a strong offensive line.

What to watch for: Swampscott has plenty of youth in their starting lineup, including sophomore wideout Andrew Augustin, who scored three touchdowns in last Saturday’s win, but they’re still very experienced. Swampscott has overpowered opponents at just about every stop, and they’re the North Sectional Champs for a reason. Their offense can blow you away, and it’s something Scituate will work hard to contain in the hopes of a win.

Scituate Sailors

How they got here: Not unlike their opponents from the North Shore, your Scituate Sailors completed their regular season with a total record of 6-1, which included a clean sweep over their Patriot League Fisher Division opponents (Plymouth South, Pembroke, North Quincy, and Hanover). In a year of many firsts for the team, Scituate for the first time won their league in back-to-back years, and after last week’s victory over Canton, they became the first team in Scituate history to be South Sectional Champs, after coming oh-so-close last year. The Sailors bounced back after a tough Week 2 loss to Division 3 powerhouse Duxbury, and are carrying an 8 game winning streak into the state semis.

Key players: Seniors Aidan Sullivan (QB) and Daniel May (WR), alongside junior running back Will Sheskey, lead the charge offensively for the Sailors, while linebacker and captain Josh McKeever controls the flow of the game defensively. Senior Josh Comeau, the Sailors’ fourth captain, stars on both sides of the ball as a defensive tackle and the team’s center.

What to watch for: Much has been made of Scituate’s offense, and for good reason, but the key to this game may very well be the Sailors’ defensive unit. After a multitude of suffocating performances in the regular season, the defense will certainly look to build off of last weeks shutout.

Game info: Where: Hanover High School, 287 Cedar Street, Hanover, MA. When: Saturday, November 17th, at 4:00 p.m. Transportation: A fan bus will be available for Scituate students. Students need to sign up in the office by the end of the day on Thursday, November 15th.